The new JNDI Trail
By user12610255 on Jan 16, 2007
- If you are new to JNDI, you should start with Naming and Directory Concepts and JNDI Overview lessons. These lessons are enriched with figures and examples that enable quick understanding of Naming Directory Services concepts.
- The Software Setup lesson has detailed step-by-step instructions on how to setup Client and Server Software and start writing JNDI applications that perform naming and directory operations on the server. The Server Setup instructions are for setting up Active Directory Server (ADS) and Sun Java Directory Server version 5.2.
- Once you have your setup ready and want to start writing JNDI applications, the Naming and Directory Operations lesson comes in handy. It has over 23 examples that show how each of Naming and Directory operations is performed and how the results are processed. The examples in this lesson use LDAP service to perform naming and directory operations. In the future update of this trail, we will have some examples using DNS service as well. Please don't forget to use the Troubleshooting Tips section at the end of the lesson to recover from common JNDI programming traps.
- If you are an LDAP programmer, the Advanced Topics for LDAP Users lesson is there for you. It covers topics such as LDAP Authentication and Security (SSL), more about Search, Connection Pooling Mechanisms and contains over 23 examples. The FAQ section addresses many "how to" queries on JNDI/LDAP programming. The Objects in the Directory lesson briefs on how to store and retrieve Java Objects from the directory.
- Finally, all the new features are listed in a separate lesson New Features in JDK5.0 and JDK 6. Please check out this lesson and tell us if your feature is not there yet!
- Jaya Hangal