JDK 8 Is Released!
By Raymond Gallardo on Mar 18, 2014
Java SE 8 has gone live! Download it from the Java SE Downloads page.
See the JDK 8 Release Notes for detailed information about this release. Highlights include the following:
- Lambda expressions, a new language feature, enable you to treat functionality as a method argument, or code as data.
- Other significant enhancements and changes to the Java language and standard libraries have been added, including default methods, the new
java.util.streampackage, and the Date-Time API.
- Compact Profiles contain predefined subsets of the Java SE platform and enable applications that do not require the entire Platform to be deployed and run on small devices.
- Security enhancements include updates to the Java Cryptography Architecture; limited doPrivileged, a mechanism that enables code to assert a subset of its privileges; SSL/TLS Server Name Indication (SNI) Extension; and keystore enhancements.
- JavaFX documentation has been updated for this release.
- Java Mission Control 5.3 is included in JDK 8.
Download JDK 8 today and try it out!