By pelegri on Oct 28, 2010
By my count, there are at least 8 Java App Servers that are either JavaEE 6 Compatible or are in their way there. Below are some key pointers for each offering; as you can see, very good traction.
Currently Java EE 6 Certified
GlassFish 3 (from
GlassFish 3 is available in Web Profile and Full versions. 3.0 was released in Dec 2009 and 3.0.1 in June 2010, with releases of the Oracle-branded commercial releases at the same time.
- GlassFish Server Open Source Edition
- Oracle GlassFish Server
- GlassFish 3 Family at GlassFishForBusiness
JEUS 7 (from TmaxSoft)
Although this JEUS 7 is still in beta phase, it has already passed the full TCK certification. A final release is expected by end of 2010
On the Road towards Java EE 6 Certification
Resin 4 (from
Caucho is working on a Java EE 6 Web Profile App Server. They are very close to a Java EE 6 Web Profile certification.
- Java EE 6 Server Resin 4.0.12 - A Smoke Test
- The Resin Java EE 6 Web Profile Implementation
- Are We There Yet?: Resin 4 Java EE 6 Web Profile Certification
This is a Tomcat 6-based AppServer leveraging ASF's technologies. MechSofts site indicates they are targeting Java EE 6 Web Profile, but they are not (yet?) a Java EE Licensee, so we will see.
- SIwpas home page
- MechSoft's home page
- First Impression And Smoke Test Of Java EE 6 Tomcat 7 Based Server SIwpas
- JIRA for JBoss 6.0.0 Final
- Java EE 6, JBoss 6 (is it usable?) And The Server Smoke Test
GlassFish 3.1 (from Oracle)
The follow-up GlassFish 3.1 will be released around end of this calendar year, with full clustering support.
WebLogic Server 11g R2 (from Oracle)
Next release of WebLogic Server will support Java EE 6, both the full specification and the Web Profile. The current plan is to release in CY 2011.
- More details in S317474 at OpenWorld On Demand.
WebSphere 8 (from
IBM is working on a full Java EE 6 App Server. They have been making feature packs available on WAS V7 (e.g. JPA 2.0 pack) but they just announced a full beta of 8, with JavaEE 6 support:
Geronimo 3 (from the
Apache Software Foundation)
The Geronimo community is getting ready for a release of Geronimo 3 towards the end of the calendar year and targeting Java EE 6 Web Profile.