By pelegri on Oct 20, 2009
All whitepapers are free but registration is required.
All whitepapers are free but registration is required.
If you are interested in the topic, also check the Hudson Whitepaper. And, if you want to move beyond that, Sun offers Hudson support as part of the GlassFish Portfolio offering - see Summary of Offering.
SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) is a set of standards for network management, including an application layer protocol, a database schema, and a set of data objects. Since SNMP is very popular in some enterprise deployments the GlassFish Enterprise Manager includes an SNMP Monitoring AddOn for customers of the GlassFish Portfolio.
Formal Documentation includes Release Notes, Installation and QuickStart Guide, and Reference. The software is available through Sunsolve; if you are interested in using it, send a Request for Evaluation. Our future plan is to move to simpler distribution and evaluation mechanism, borrowing the lessons from the WebStack Enterprise Manager.
The SNMP team has a number of posts on the SNMP monitor:
Overview of the AddOn.
Nazrul has an Overview of The GF Enterprise Monitor Offerings that is intended to be up-to-date (I believe Oliver's last post is not yet there).
I've uploaded the slides for my presentation at CommunityOne on Sun GlassFish Portfolio (S307894). I start with a recap of the project and an assessment of adoption, then do a review the GlassFish Portfolio and end with a blitz through projects with links to sessions and pods. There are many slides but several are build-ups and I hope to have time for Q&A.
Arun has put together a nice table with all the sessions related to the GlassFish family of products:
Other useful links:
• C1 Main Page,
• C1 Sessions with GlassFish Keyword
• J1 Main Page, Schedule and Content Catalog
• J1 Sessions with GlassFish Keyword
• Register for Sunday's Unconference and Party
Last week we made available the latest sustaining (for-fee) release of the GlassFish Server. GFv2.1p2 fixes 40 new bugs beyond the 31 fixed by GFv2.1p1. GFv2.1p2 is also a patch release (p8) for the earlier GFv2U2; collectively all the patch releases in that family addressed 152 bugs.
Harpreet is coordinating several of the GlassFish Porfolio outreach activities, and he has been providing updates on the latest white papers and webcasts (, ). Summarizing from there, the new entries are:
• Writing Jersey Client
All GlassFish Portfolio resources are listed in the resource page although Harpreet said some of the entries above won't be there until next week. Also note that you will need to register (it is free) to access the resources.
Meet us, if you are at Barcelona next week (16th-19th Feb).
The demos include Load Balancer Visualization for SailFin, SailFin Communicator application (with MySQL cluster career grade server as the back-end database) and Mobile Enterprise Platform with On-Device Portal. Sun has also invited Ericsson to demonstrate Ericsson's Intelligent Network technology, built on GlassFish.
Yet another round of links for the GlassFish Portfolio launch. Some are links I had missed, other ones appeared recently.
Note also we now have GlassFish Portfolio release notes published.
• Seeing Through Sun's Glassfish (Information Week)
• Sun представила открытую web-платформу (linuxcenter.ru)
• Sun's GlassFish Portfolio Adds More Open Source (InternetNews.com)
• Sun releases GlassFish web platform (vnunet.com)
• Sun’s GlassFish Portfolio Could Change Middleware Game (idevnews.com)
• GlassFish gets LAMP stack and multimedia add-on (CRN.com.au)
• Sun unveils Glassfish portfolio (ITExaminer.com)
• http://ca.sys-con.com/node/838245 (AjaxWorld.com)
• Sun Releases Enterprise Open Source Platform (ebizQ)
• Sun to integrate GlasFish with LAMP stack (ciol.com)
• Sun beefs up GlassFish app server with integrated LAMP stack (eChannelLine)
• Sun GlassFish Portfolio chez Sun (Toolinux)
• Glassfish Portfolio (niq)
• GlassFish Enterprise Service Bus Multimedia (SDN Channel)
• New Sun Glassfish Portfolio (CamelCase)
• (Marketing memos)
• GlassFish ESB and OpenESB - Interview and demo (RedMonk)
• Web Space Server - Localization (Portal Post)
• Incredible portfolio of web servers! (Web Tier)
• Adding content to portal page : The easy way (Praskah)
• Jersey 1.0.2 is released (Earthly Powers)
• Learn About GlassFish Portfolio (Dixie, docs)
Some 24 hours after the launch, more coverage of the GlassFish Portfolio launch.
• Light-weight, open-source Sun GlassFish Portfolio (TSS)
• Sun realigns software around GlassFish Portfolio (SDTimes)
• Themes discussed at Sun GlassFish Portfolio debut (TechTarget)
• Nyílt forrású vállalati alkalmazásplatformmal jelentkezett a Sun Microsystems (HWSW.hu)
• SUN’s Glassfish Portfolio is a major shift to commercial open source business models. (The Forrester Blog)
• Sun's Answer To LAMP: GlassFish Portfolio (InformationWeek)
• GlassFish v2.1: A Complete Picture (Harpreet)
• "10 reasons why Nuxeo is using GlassFish" presentation (Nuxeo)
• SIP development modules via Auto-update (Vince)
• Sun GlassFish Portfolio Released (SDN Program News)
• Content Management System in Glassfish Web Space Server 10.0 (Prakash)
• Writing your first application router with SailFin (Binod)
• SIP Extension Headers in SailFin (Sankar)
• Sailfin in detail : Part 1 app-name (Prsad)
• OK - where do I start if I need to tune GlassFish? (Kim)
• Performance Monitor enters Sun's GlassFish offerings (Shreedhar)
• Performance Advisor : VM Alerts (Nandini)
• GlassFish Portfolio related podcasts (Bistro!)
• Sun includes GlassFish ESB in GlassFish Portfolio (Hari)
• GlassFish Portfolio with GlassFish ESB officially announced (Mark White)
• Web Space Server 10 Adopts Update Center (Joe)
GlassFish Enterprise Manager
• GlassFish SNMP Monitoring (Rajeshwar)
• GlassFish Value-Ad Feature Tuner (Nachiappan)
• Tuner ScreenCast (Nachiappan)
• Performance Advisor Installation and Overview (Screencast by Anissa)
Earlier coverage is here.
It's early after the launch but here's already a first batch of content covering GlassFish Portfolio. Expect some updates to this blog later in the day as well as more entries in the next few days.
• Sun offers integrated Web platform (InfoWorld)
• Avec Portfolio, Sun taille GlassFish pour contrer JBoss (LeMagIT, in French)
• Sun Takes GlassFish, Industry's Most Downloaded Application Server, to New Heights With Integrated LAMP Stack (Press Release)
• 搜斧 - Sun GlassFish Portfolio Released
• Sun Drives Huge Growth in Adoption of GlassFish, Industry's Most Downloaded Application Server (Press Release)
• GlassFish Production Deployments & Enterprise Manager (John Clingan)
• The New GlassFish Portfolio! (Liz Matthews)
• GlassFish Portfolio en bref (Bistro!)
• Sun GlassFish Web Space Server 10.0: Now Available! (The Portal Post)
• GlassFish - immár Portfolioban (Peter, in Hungarian)
• Sun GlassFish Portfolio and Open Source (Kevin)
• SailFin : Develop your own applications using templates (Bhavani)
• SailFin V1: Step by step guide to get started. (Binod)
• Introducing Sun GlassFish Portfolio (Scripting blog)
• 介绍Sun GlassFish Portfolio (The Aquarium ZH)
• Converged Load-Balancer(CLB) Whitepaper and Screencast (Kshitiz)
• GlassFish grows up! (Sun Student Connection)
• Feb 17th Chinese Webinar - GlassFish Portfolio (Judy/Jiandong)
GlassFish Enterprise Manager
• Introducing GlassFish Performance Tuner (Ken Paulsen)
• GlassFish Performance Advisor - Install and setup (Siraj)
• JDBC Pool Manager - Steady Pool Size Tuning (Shalini)
• JDBC Pool Manager - Max Pool Size Tuning (Shalini)
• GlassFish SNMP J2EE MIB Presentation (Olivier)
• Browsing the Glassfish SNMP J2EE-MIB (Olivier)
• GlassFish SNMP Master Agent Integration (Olivier)
• GlassFish SNMP security (Olivier)
• GlassFish Performance Advisor - Managing Rotated Log Files (Siraj)
• GlassFish Performance Advisor - Log Entry Alert (Siraj)
• Performance Advisor Installation and Overview - Screencast,live demo and more (Anissa)
• Configuration of SNMP Monitoring in Glassfish Enterprise Manager (Sankar)
The key components in the GlassFish Portfolio are the Sun GlassFish Enterprise Server (including OpenMQ), the Sun GlassFish ESB (with OpenESB), the Sun GlassFish Web Space Server (nee WebSynergy, leveraging GlassFish and Liferay) and the Sun GlassFish Web Stack, which includes supported and optimized versions of Apache Web Server, Memcached and other popular Web applications.
Sun also issued a Release highlighting adoption of the GlassFish products in companies from Telcos (T-Mobile), Health (Medavie Blue Cross) and startups (TravelMuse). Check the PR for a full list, plus our Adoption Stories and Sun's more formal Customer References.
As in past events, we are going to post a number of blog entries related to different facets of the products announced today; we will (attempt to) use the tag GlassFishPortfolio consistently to help search through them. We are also going to host a set of short (10') presentations at TheAquarium Online to cover this material, with the usual recordings for later playback.