Summary of Post-Oracle Links and Changes
By pelegri on Feb 01, 2010
The main theme of the acquisition is "We're Changing the Way you Buy, Run and Manage Business Systems".
Main Entry Points:
- Sun Acquisition
- Jan 27th Strategy Event. Includes webcast, highlights and presentations. 5 hours but worth it.
- Strategy Webcast Series.
From the Software Segment of the Strategy Webcast Series:
- Jeet & Hasan on Java Strategy. Covers JavaFX, JavaSE, Blu-Ray, GlassFish, JavaCard, Developer Sites, JCP, JavaOne Java For Business.
- Hasan Rizvi on Application Server. GlassFish, WebLogic, protecting investment in existing products, Oracle Application Grid, Grid Architecture, jRockit, Coherence, Tuxedo, OpenMQ, GlassFish WebStack and GF SpaceServer - and Liferay, Sun WebServer, Portal Server, Oracle WebCenter. Check slide 12 (and 6'12") for current level of details on WebLogic/GlassFish alignment.
- Richard Sarwal and Steve Wilson on Oracle Enterprise Manager and xVM OpsCenter. Combined story covers discovery, provisioning, updating, monitoring - including for virtualized assets. Application-to-disk management.
- OpenOffice, with Michael Bemmer. Open Source, name changes, Oracle value proposition, Web-Based version, JDeveloper support, Extensions, ODF-support, integration with other Oracle products.
- Cloud with Richard Sarwal. A pretty good presentation covering IAAS, PAAS, SAAS; Private and Public Clouds; range from Silo > Grid > Private Cloud > Hybrid including Private and Public Cloud; cloud-in-a-box. Discontinuing the Sun public cloud offering but leveraging Sun's technology, including Q-Layer team for Oracle products that provide flexible, self-service, dynamic services.
- Operating Systems by Edward Screven.
From the Systems Segment of the Strategy Webcast Series:
- Storage with Mike Shapiro, including OpenStorage and Flash products. Blade Server and x86 Rack Server are covered by Ali Alasti; Archival (tapes) by Jim Cates, and SPARC Servers by Masood Heydari.
Other Links and Project Status:
- Overview and FAQ for Developer Community - Covers SDN, Java.Net, Java.Sun.Com, BigAdmin, Kenai, JavaOne and more.
- Developer Tools FAQ
- Kenai - Public Site To Be Merged Into Java.Net; infrastructure supports NetBeans.org and will support Java.Net and other sites.
- WonderLand - Group at Oracle is Shut Down, but they go on their own. See New Blog Site.
- Darkstar - Project shutdown
- LivelyKernel - Seems to have moved to a New Site.
- Derby/JavaDB - Live and well (Still here).
Additional Information - Oracle continues to update their site; see also:
Press, Analysts, Friends, Others:
Savio Rodrigues (IBM/Geronimo), Mark Little (JBoss) and Sateesh Narahari (MuleSoft),
Scot McPhee, Markus Eisele, and Douglas Dooley.
- Thread at TSS, including posts by Mike Lehman, PM for WLS.
A general comment is that we need some time to put the roadmap together; remember that the Sun people could not work with Oracle folks before CiC, so, if there had been a detailed roadmap it would have come from Oracle, not a collaboration...