SailFin 2.0 is Now Available! Also GlassFish v2.1.1
By pelegri on Oct 28, 2009
Today was the release of SailFin v2 (download, home, wiki) and its companion Sun GlassFish Communications Server 2.0 (download, home). SailFin v2 is a big release; it leverages GlassFish v2.1.1 (more tomorrow) and adds a number of features including high availability, rolling upgrade, flexible network topology, better overload protection, Diameter support, improved diagnosability, Java based DCR files for the load balancer, and more.
I can't cover SailFin v2 properly but I'll collect some of the relevant links so you can follow them up. Start with Binod's overview: SailFin v2 Released! and move from there:
Some of the major changes are:
- A new replica selection algorithm that improves scalability by easing load distribution after failure.
- Enhancements to the Converged Load Balancer to support writing DCR rules in Java.
- The ability to do rolling upgrades leverages session replication; see this example.
- Improved use of multihoming features for more flexible deployments. See Ramesh's writeup.
- Diameter support in Sun's for-fee AddOn; see details in Venu's many posts, including  and .
- Improved load protection. See Robert's one pager and Sankar's work on JMX Notification.
As part of the release, the team has posted a number of new entries, including:
- Next is what? (Prasad)
- Subscribing to user state using Sun Diameter Sh API (Venu)
- Setup and Configure Diameter on SailFin (Naman Mehta)
- Diameter Administration on SailFIn 2.0 (Yamini KB)
- SailFin v2 Released (Srikanth Anandal)
- CLB Enhancements in SailFin 2.0 (Kshitiz Saxena)
- Overload Protection in SailFin: What's new in 2.0 (Rampsarathy)
- Tips and Tricks of SailFin HA (Bhavani Shankar)
- Multihoming in SailFin. (Ramesh)
- TA entries tagged SailFin,
- Prasad's earlier roundup: "SailFin 2.0 is Around the Corner!"
- Sreeram's notes on SailFin amazon images.
- How to write Conference App in 15 lines of nicely formatted code!
Finally, a list for PR/Press reports: