OpenStorage Recipe: ZFS + Bunch of Disks (+ Flash Memory) = 1$/GB
By pelegri on Jul 09, 2008
The successor to Thumper is SunFire x4500, faster and bigger than before but still the same storage/server hybrid.
The new storage family combines a Bunch of Disks (BoD) - SATA/SAS - and OpenSolaris/ZFS (and later Flash Memory), to deliver up to 72Gb/sec throughput and up to 192 SATA disks on 16RU at around 1$ per GB.
Feature Article and the
• Home pages for the J4000 Family and the Big, Medium and Small brothers
• Blogs: Overviews by George and Taylor Innovating@Sun, Satish on MySQL and SugarCRM
• Richard's entry is worth its own bullet; check it out!
• News: Computer World, InfoWorld, Blocks and Files, The Register
• Press Release, SDN Announcement
• OpenStorage and OpenSolaris Storage Community