New Java Application Platform SDK is out with companion Java EE 5 SDK and SJS AS
By pelegri on Oct 30, 2006
Sun has added a new Java EE-related download bundle, the Java Application Platform SDK. This first release of the new SDK adds Access Manager functionality to the traditional Java EE SDK; future releases will add more functionality.
Here is a brief overview of the different pieces:
• GlassFish V1 UR1 - This is the community-lead project that delivers the comercial quality App Server that is also the Java EE 5 RI.
• Sun Java System Application Server 9.0 UR1 - This is the Sun-supported distribution of the above. Most people will get this through one of the bundles below but here is a direct link.
• Java EE SDK - The traditional SDK bundle around the above. Most developers will get the AppServer through this download.
• Java Application Platform SDK - Adds additional functionality like Access Manager that is not defined by the JCP specifications but are useful to write Enterprise Applications
• Java EE Tools SDK - This is a full bundle with everything in the Java Application Platform SDK plus all the relevant tools.