Extra GlassFish News - Nov 8th, 2009
By pelegri on Nov 08, 2009
This is the first of our weekly news catch-up and covers Nov 1 to Nov 11, 2009. This week the news catch-up is partial; next week I'll create the entry through the week and will try to be more comprehensive.
This week we also cover old news on JRuby and OSGi.
GlassFish and Middleware News
- IBM DeveloperWorks: Introducing Metro. Nice to see IBM refering to the GlassFish WebServices implementation as it is Used by Many, including IBM. Incidentally, the article triggered several internal and external threads on the topic, see for example: Broken Fault Handling in Metro.
- Subversion is now an Apache Incubator podling and same for LibCloud (from Apache incubator)
- New IzPack, and new GlassFish v2.1.1 installer (via alexismp)
- Sun's Financial results for Q3FY2010 are now available. The revenue for MiddleWare+MySQL are shown as a single entry and are (slightly) up, Year-to-Year (Y/Y); Java and OpenStorage are significantly up Y/Y; other segments are down Y/Y. Also check the numbers for previous quarters.
- IntelliJ IDEA 9 (Maia) goes Beta with full JavaEE 6 (and GlassFish v3) suport.
- Sun's to cut 3000 jobs.
- New record month in GlassFish GeoMap numbers (more details still to come).
Predicting our Systems Future
- Systems-related: New DTrace CheatSheet, Simple LB in OpenSolaris
- Latest installment in Chris's series on Reduced Install of OpenSolaris. The series deserves a spotlight...
- Dedup in ZFS. This is a big deal; DeDup is big $$ business.
From the past: OSGi in GlassFish (triggered by this thread):
- Sahoo has done a lot of work on the OSGi portion of GF; see his blogs on: Running GlassFish on Equinox (and other OSGi Platforms), OSGi enabled web applications inGlassFish, Developing Hybrid (OSGi + Java EE) applications in GlassFish and Our second hybrid application: EJB as OSGi Service and OSGi Declarative Service bundle in GlassFish.
- Also see Arun's note building on this work at GlassFish v3 with different OSGi runtimes – Felix, Equinox, and Knoplerfish
From the past: JRuby on GlassFish (triggered by this thread)
- From GF Wiki: Getting Started with JRuby on GF