GlassFish turns 1
By carlasblog on Jun 27, 2006
Just a year ago this week Sun announced project GlassFish, an open source application server based on the Java EE 5 specifications. The announcement was made at JavaOne 2005 where we gave away many GlassFish t-shirts and buttons. Here are some of the highlights I thought of from the past year.
- Major releases including first Java EE 5 Compatible app server released (including MacOS), included in the Java EE 5 SDK, the Reference Implementation that is required to finalize Java EE 5.
- Lots of community activity on the forum and mailing lists, many bugs filed, and the GlassFish reception and awards for community participation.
- Numerous blogs, tech tips and articles written.
- Many frameworks and applications tested on GlassFish.
- GlassFish components made available in a maven repository.
- Very good performance.
- Some great testimonials.
These are some of the accomplishments that stand out in my mind and there are more. Thanks to all the folks that helped make project GlassFish's first year a success. Looking forward the update release is under way and so is planning for the next dot release of GlassFish. It looks like it'll be another busy year.