By David Delabassee-Oracle on Jul 08, 2014
Nigel Deakin has just posted a draft proposal for JMS 2.1. Nigel is the Maintenance Lead for JMS 2.0 and is the prospective Specification Lead for JMS 2.1. He plans to submit his proposal to the JCP soon and is looking for feedback and comments before he do so. JMS 2.1 is one of the potential APIs for inclusion in Java EE 8.
- Continue the 'ease-of-use' efforts that were started in JMS 2.0
- Improve the portability of JMS providers within Java EE servers
- Enhance the JMS API to leverage some of the Java SE 8 features (eg. repeatable annotations)
- Clarify some of the optional aspects of the specification
- Improve and clarify some of the transactional behaviours
- Additional features as decided by the Expert Group ...
On the 'ease-of-use' front, one of the big feature that Nigel would like to have addressed by the Expert Group is the definition of an easier-to-use and more general alternative to JMS message-driven beans (MDB). But you should really read Nigel's draft proposal for a more complete description of the JMS 2.1 plans.
You can send your feedback via the usual channels. At JavaOne, the following 2 BoFs will also be a good venue to discuss the JMS 2.1 plans: "What Do We Want in JMS 2.1?" and "Meet the Java EE Specification Leads".