Thursday Jul 31, 2008
Sunday Jul 27, 2008
Monday Jul 21, 2008
Friday Jul 18, 2008
By tgardner on Jul 18, 2008
Twitter maintenance statements like this one remind me of a pilot announcement on a commercial flight I made a few years ago, short on detail, but an announcement none the less. Say as little as possible but say something.
At the end of the flight in question, on final approach with flaps out, gear down and in general configured and stabilized for landing, the L1011 (I told you it was a few years ago) retracted its gear and the flying pilot applied takeoff-go around power, in effect aborting the landing. After a few minutes, the pilot-in-command made the following announcement: "Folks, you may have noticed we are going back up. We have a light up here we don't like".
"A light ... we don't like"? Please. The problem was fairly obvious: there was an asymmetrical flap extension. I saw that at once, and I knew the landing would be aborted, but even folks without piloting experience could feel the weird seat-of-the-pants feeling from the asymmetrical lift/drag. Just explain what's going on, people aren't stupid, and the more information, the better. Twitter, same to you. What kind of database problem?
Oh, and they reset a circuit breaker and corrected the flap extension problem and landed safely.
Thursday Jul 17, 2008
Wednesday Jul 16, 2008
Saturday Jul 05, 2008
Friday Jun 27, 2008
Sun, LDAP, SLAMD, DSLA, java, Struts, networking, chess, books, cooking, wine, and many other things.
- Link to 13,800,000 entry DS52p6 benchmark yields 17,000 searches per second on x4250
- SLAMD internals - functional
- Using an integer range field validator annotation (Struts2)
- Supported platforms for DS5.2p6 and DSEE6.3.1
- Upgrading OpenDS to 2.0.0 RC1 (in pictures)
- Directory Server Log Analyzer 0.0.3.3 released
- Directory Server Log Analyzer 0.0.3.2 released
- Directory Server Log Analyzer 0.0.3.1 released
- Mockup of new report page for Directory Server Log Analyzer 0.0.3.1
- Directory Server Log Analyzer 0.0.2.6 released
- /Cigars and the Man-Grill
- /Doctor Who
- /Star Trek