By templedf on Jul 20, 2009
Are you a student in Europe\*? Do you want a new Toshiba laptop? Willing to write some code to get it? Good. Read on.
The OpenSolaris HPC team is currently running a programming contest for European students that was launched at ISC in Hamburg last month. The contest is to write the most performant and scalable implementation of a distributed hash table. Submission can be from teams of up to three people. The top prize is a new Toshiba laptop for each member of the winning team.
For more information, check out the contest site. Better hurry, though, because the contest deadline is coming up quick!
\* Contest participation is limited to legal residents of a specific list of European countries. See the contest site for details.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTEST: The Sun HPC Software Student Programming Challenge ISC 2009 ("Contest") is designed to promote the use of the Sun HPC Software, Developer Edition 1.0 for OpenSolaris among students by having them compete to design and implement the most scalable and best-performing implementation of a common parallel algorithm. Prizes will be awarded to those who submit the best entries as determined by the judges in accordance with these Official Rules.
2. ELIGIBILITY: This contest is open only to teams of 1 to 3 currently-enrolled, full- or part-time, undergraduate or graduate, university or college students, who are the legal age of majority in their country, province or state of legal residence and residents of Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. Void in Puerto Rico, Quebec and where prohibited by law. Persons in any of the following categories are not eligible to participate or win the prize(s) offered: (a) Employees or agents of Sun Microsystems, their parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies, application development partner companies, and prize suppliers; (b) immediate family members (defined as parents, children, siblings and spouse, regardless of where they reside) and/or those living in the same household as any person in (a) above; and (c) employees of any government entity. You must also have access to the Internet and a valid email address in order to enter or win.
3. HOW TO ENTER: This contest begins at 12:01 P.M. Pacific Time (PT) Zone in the United States (e.g. San Francisco time) which is 5:01 A.M. Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) on the 29th of June 2009 and ends at 11:59 P.M. (PT) which is 4:59 A.M. (GMT) on 10th of August 2009 ("Contest Period"). IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ENTRANTS: ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE CORRESPONDING TIME ZONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS.
4. THE SUBMISSION: Create an implementation of a fault-tolerant distributed hash table as described at http://wikis.sun.com/display/HPCContest/Sun+HPC+Software+Student+Programming+Challenge+ISC+2009 The implementation must be written in C for the OpenSolaris 2009.06 operating environment using the Sun HPC ClusterTools 8.1 OpenMPI implementation and must be submitted as a Sun Studio 12 project. All Entries must include a valid and complete Sun Studio 12 project that builds without errors on an unmodified instance of the Sun HPC Software, Developer Edition 1.0 for OpenSolaris. Entries may be submitted either electronically or via mail. All Entries must be comprised of original work of the submitter(s). No participant may submit an Entry as a member of more than one team.
Electronic Entries must include a 1-3 page written summary of the implementation approach and the name(s) of the submitter(s). The electronic file must be a gzipped tar file that includes the Sun Studio 12 project directory, including all required files, and must be no larger than 5MB in size. If the electronic file is larger than 5MB in size, it must be submitted by mail in accordance with the instructions below. The electronic entry must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on August 10th, 2009 in the United States.
Mailed Entries must include a 1-3 page written summary of the implementation approach and the name(s) of the submitter(s), and a CD or DVD containing the project code as described above. All mailed Entries must be sent to Sun HPC Software Programming Challenge, c/o Sun Microsystems, Inc., 17 Network Circle, Menlo Park, CA 94025, MS-MPK17-207, and must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on August 10th, 2009 in the United States.
All Entries must be in English. Registration or Entries that are in any other language will not be considered. Entries that are lewd, obscene, pornographic, disparaging of the Sponsor or otherwise contain objectionable material may be disqualified in the Sponsor's sole and unfettered discretion.
5. JUDGING: All Entries will be judged by a panel of experts based on the following equally weighted judging criteria: data retrieval throughput for requests coming from a single node, data retrieval throughput for parallel requests coming from multiple nodes, ability to withstand processing node failure, and scalability with respect to number of processing nodes and number of data items. In the event of a tie, the person or team among the tied Entries with the highest score in scalability with respect to number of processing nodes and number of data items will be declared the winner. In the event that no entries are received, no prize will be awarded. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by email.
6. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: First prize: Toshiba OpenSolaris laptop valued at approximately $2,000. Second and third prizes: Apple iPod valued at approximately $150. Up to three Toshiba laptops and six Apple iPods may be awarded. Prize includes round-trip coach air transportation for one person from major airport nearest winner's residence and hotel accommodations for one person for four nights. Hotel accommodations at Sponsor's discretion. Certain black out dates apply. In the event the Sun HPC Software Workshop is cancelled or postponed for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to award the remainder of the prize with no further obligation to the winner. All other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the winner. ALL TAXES AND ANY APPLICABLE WITHOLDING AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. Cash prizes will be awarded in US Dollars. All costs associated with currency exchange are the sole responsibility of the winner.
7. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for an item of equal or greater value in the event all or part of a prize becomes unavailable. Prizes are awarded without warranty of any kind from Sponsor, express or implied, without limitation, except where this would be contrary to federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulations. All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. Submission of entry into this Contest deems that entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Return of any prize/prize notification may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Any potential winner who cannot be contacted within 15 days of attempted first notification will forfeit his/her prize. Potential prize winner(s) may be required to sign and return an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility/Liability & Publicity Release within 30 days following the date of first attempted notification. Failure to comply within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Travel companion of winner must also execute an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability & Publicity Release prior to ticketing and must possess required travel documents (e.g. valid photo I.D.) prior to departure. Once the travel schedule has been arranged, it cannot be altered and failure of winner to follow such schedule shall not obligate Sponsor in any way to provide the winner with alternate arrangements. The intellectual and industrial property rights to the contest submission, if any, will remain with the participants, except that these terms do not supersede any other assignment or grant of rights according to any other separate agreements between participants and other parties. As a condition of entry, participants agree that Sun shall have the right to use, copy, modify and make available the application or code in connection with the operation, conduct, administration, and advertising and promotion of the Contest via communication to the public, including, but not limited to the right to make screenshots, animations and video clips available to the public for promotional and publicity purposes. Notwithstanding the foregoing, ownership of and all intellectual and industrial property rights in and to the application and code shall remain with the participant. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for, and winners consent to, Sponsor and its agencies to use a winner's name and/or likeness and entry for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. To the extent permitted by law, entrants, agree to hold Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives and assigns harmless from any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the Contest and/or use or acceptance of any prize won, except to the extent that any death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of the Sponsor. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize. A participant may be prohibited from participating in this Contest if, in the Sponsor's sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the participant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other participants, the Sponsor or associated agencies. In the event a winner/potential winner's employer has a policy, which prohibits the awarding of a prize to an employee, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected.
8. NO RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL OR OTHER PROCEDURES: To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, to seek injunctive relief or to make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this contest are hereby excluded, and any participant expressly waives any and all such rights.
Participants agree that these Official Rules are governed by the laws of California, USA.
9. DATA PRIVACY: Participants agree that personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, stored and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of the contest and any other purposes outlined in these Official Rules. The data may also be used by the Sponsor in order to check participants' identity, their postal address and telephone number, or to otherwise verify their eligibility to participate in the Contest and to receive any prize. Participants have a right to access, review, rectify or cancel any personal data held by the Sponsor by writing to Sponsor (Attention: Daniel Templeton) at the address listed below. If participant's data is not provided or is canceled participants' Entries will be ineligible.
10. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Entrants certify that their entry is original and that they are the sole and exclusive owner and right holder of the submitted entry and that they have the right to submit the Entry in the Contest. Each participant agrees not to submit any Entry that (1) infringes any 3rd party proprietary, intellectual property, industrial property, personal rights or other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or confidentiality obligation; or (2) otherwise violates applicable law in any countries in the world. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each participant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor its parent, subsidiaries, agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives and assigns harmless at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the participant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, each participant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified the Sponsor, its parent, subsidiaries, agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives and assigns harmless at all times from and against any liability, actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses for or in respect of which the Sponsor will or may become liable by reason of or related or incidental to any act, default or omission by a participant under these Official Rules including without limitation resulting from or in relation to any breach, non-observance, act or omission whether negligent or otherwise, pursuant to these official rules by a participant.
11. ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by any participant concerning identity, postal address, telephone number, ownership of right or non-compliance with these rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the participant from the Contest. Sponsor further reserves the right to disqualify any Entry that it believes in its sole and unfettered discretion infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party or otherwise does not comply with these official rules.
12. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission. Sponsor is not responsible for theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible for inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site or any combination thereof, except to the extent that any death or personal injury is caused by the negligence of the Sponsor. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. Sponsor further reserves the right to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process. Caution: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any Web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law.
13. If any provision(s) of these Official Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
14. WINNER'S LIST: For winner's name, log onto http://wikis.sun.com/display/HPCContest on or about August 14th, available for a period of up to 60 days.
15. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4220 Network Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054.