JavaOne 12: Tuesday AM
By templedf on May 08, 2007
Welcome to JavaOne! There's a lot of people here! Looking at the schedule, the content looks great.
- The JDK is now completely open. (There are actually a couple of small pieces that we couldn't open up yet, but you can get binaries plugs for those pieces until we can get them opened.)
- The governance model for the JDK community was announced. The board will be Doug Lea, Fabiane Nardon, Simon Phipps, Mark Reinhold, and Dalibor Topič
- The TCK will also be make available for use by the community.
- The next several releases of JDK 6 will be focused on execution and startup speed.
- Rich announced JavaFX, which is a new family of technologies and tools that make it easier to use Java in the consumer space. The first piece is JavaFX Script, formerly known as F3. Consider it a competitor to Flash. The second piece is JavaFX Mobile, which is our new name for the SavaJe technology we recently acquired. It's approximately Java SE for handsets. (Believe it or not, we actually had a female engineer demo JavaFX Mobile on stage!)
- McNeally talked about Curriki, his pet project for providing free K-12 educational materials online.
And the on-going saga of the Darkstar hands-on lab ate up a couple more hours of my day. Between that, being a proctor for the Realtime Java hands-on-lab, and hanging out in the pavilion, I didn't actually make it to a single session today. Shame on me.