By templedf on Dec 23, 2010
For the past decade, Oracle Grid Engine has been helping thousands of customers marshal the enterprise technical computing processes at the heart of bringing their products to market. Many customers have achieved outstanding results with it via higher data center utilization and improved performance. The latest release of the product provides best-in-class capabilities for resource management including: Hadoop integration, topology-aware scheduling, and on-demand connectivity to the cloud.
Oracle Grid Engine has a rich history, from helping BMW Oracle Racing prepare for the America’s Cup to helping isolate and identify the genes associated with obesity; from analyzing and predicting the world's financial markets to producing the digital effects for the popular Harry Potter series of films. Since 2001, the Grid Engine open source project has made Oracle Grid Engine functionality available for free to open source users. The Grid Engine open source community has grown from a handful of users in 2001 into the strong, self-sustaining community that it is now.
Today, we are entering a new chapter in Oracle Grid Engine’s life. Oracle has been working with key members of the open source community to pass on the torch for maintaining the open source code base to the Open Grid Scheduler project hosted on SourceForge. This transition will allow the Oracle Grid Engine engineering team to focus their efforts more directly on enhancing the product. In a matter of days, we will take definitive steps in order to roll out this transition. To ensure on-going communication with the open source community, we will provide the following services:
- Upon the decommissioning of the current open source site on December 31st, 2010, we will begin to transition the information on the open source project to Oracle Technology Network’s home page for Oracle Grid Engine. This site will ultimately contain the resources currently available on the open source site, as well as a wealth of additional product resources.
- The Oracle Grid Engine engineering team will be available to answer questions and provide guidance regarding the open source project and Oracle Grid Engine via the online product forum
- The Open Grid Scheduler project will be continuing on the tradition of the Grid Engine open source project. While the Open Grid Scheduler project will remain independent of the Oracle Grid Engine product, the project will have the support of the Oracle team, including making available artifacts from the original Grid Engine open source project.
Oracle is committed to enhancing Oracle Grid Engine as a commercial product and has an exciting road map planned. In addition to developing new features and functionality to continue to improve the customer experience, we also plan to release game-changing integrations with several other Oracle products, including Oracle Enterprise Manager and Oracle Coherence. Also, as Oracle's cloud strategy unfolds, we expect that the Oracle Grid Engine product's role in the overall strategy will continue to grow. To discuss our general plans for the product, we would like to invite you to join us for a live webcast on Oracle Grid Engine’s new road map. Click here to register.
- Visit Oracle Technology Network Oracle Grid Engine center to post questions or regarding open source related issues
- Contact Oracle if you wish to learn more about Oracle Grid Engine
- Join us for a live webcast on Oracle Grid Engine’s roadmap
Thank you to everyone in the community for their support over the last decade and their continued support going forward!