Sun xVM Ops Center 1.0
By teich on Dec 03, 2007
With the stroke of midnight, Sun xVM Ops Center 1.0 is launched to a joyous world.
So what is it? It's a highly scalable datacenter management platform that runs across cross-platform Linux and Solaris OS-based x86 & SPARC systems to help customers improve efficiency, and save time & money by:
- Better managing datacenter consolidation, keeping guest OSes up-to-date and monitoring for virtual assets on a network
- Automating provisioning & updating OS instances (Solaris & Linux) to increase availability & utilization & minimize downtime
- More effectively deploy, manage and monitor security and compliance in IT operations, either locally or remotely
You can see the features here, click the image for a bigger version.
There's a huge amount of cool stuff in here, but one of the enhancements we've put in place that I'm most excited about is the new network architecture. It's cool for a few reasons:
- Firewall friendly. All communication is up and out, and it's all XML over HTTPS. So what? This means that the agent talks to the proxy, the proxy to the satellite. And it's all over the same ports that your network admin already has open, and is managing. No custom firewall rules, no custom network config, no painful installations!
- Scalability. You can now have hundreds of agents talking to each proxy, and hundreds of proxies talking to each satellite. Put a different proxy in each location, or use multiple in one location to really scale into the thousands of nodes.
So go ahead, check it out!