Back with the training
By tdw on Jan 31, 2006
I managed to get in some good runs over the Christmas break, giving me 28 and 33 miles respectively in the last week of 2005 and first week of 2006. Unfortunately, I then had to go away on business for a week, and only managed a very meagre 5 miles (although it was along the seafront!).
However, I'm back into the swing of things again now and have done 26 and 35 miles in the past two weeks respectively. Moreover, I've sorted out a routine which enables me to work on my speed (which has sadly dropped off since last spring) plus endurance. The current training regime is now:
- Monday - rest
- Tuesday - 5+mile short run with threshold run for last two miles
- Wednesday - Long club run (12-16 miles)
- Thursday - rest or recovery run
- Friday - Speedwork on the treadmil at the gym, plus some weights for core strength
- Saturday - Short run or long, easy run, depending on how I'm feeling
- Sunday - Long, easy run (10+ miles) or short moderate run, depending on what I do Saturday
I've finally taken the step and sent of my application form to join my local club, who I've been running with now for a couple of months. They're a great bunch of people, of mixed abilities, and we do a good spread of faster and slower sections over 7-9 (hilly) miles. My £12 ($20) joining fee also gets me £2 off entry into races and free entry into a local 5-mile road-race series which takes place during the year. Of course, I'll probably need to get a club shirt now too, but a guy can't have too much running gear
So far, I have not entered any races for this year, but the Sheffield 10K is in early April, and the Sheffield Half Marathon in May, so they're on my list once I've got my club membership. I'd also like to run a 5K and a few more 10K's early in the year this year, but we'll see how things go.