Solaris 11 Express announced
By Vtatkar-Oracle on Nov 18, 2010
Earlier this week, Oracle announced the availability of Solaris 11 Express.
Some things that are worth noting (from my point of view, that is):
- Downloads are available here
- You can upgrade from OpenSolaris 2009.06 to this build. I have done it myself and it works just fine, but what I noticed is that it requires about 10GB spare disk space for intermediate downloads, etc, even tho the final image doesnt require all of that space.
- Downloads are free for development purposes; commercial,
deployment usage requires the use of support.
- Solaris 11 Express will power the newly announced Oracle Exadata and Exalogic Elastic Cloud machines
can get all the slides from the Solaris team presentation at LISA 2010
(here), which gives a nice overview of all the major areas. The
Videos for it are available at the Oracle Solaris Video blog (they
are all collected in one place at this blog)
- New features:
- Support for the newly announced Sun T3 chip
- Image Packaging System -IPS- a new and improved way to
administer your Solaris system
- Network virtualization
- ZFS enhancements
- Zones enhancements
- Support for the Nehalem-EX(nhm-ex) & Westmere-EX (wsm-ex) platforms and early support for Sandy Bridge (snb)
detail descriptions in this document
The recommended compiler for use on Solaris 11 Express is Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2, which you can get from here.