Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 released!
By vtatkar on Sep 08, 2010
Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 is the latest release of compilers and tools, available on Solaris 10 (SPARC and x86), OEL, RHEL and SuSE and has several highlights worth noting:
- This is the first release of Studio under the Oracle banner. That said, it continues a long tradition of excellence in performance, features and productivity diligently nurtured by previous releases under the Sun Studio, Sun Workshop, Forte Developer banners.
- For those of you who are new to the Sun product lines, Studio has always played an important part in various parts of the Oracle Hardware, Software stack:
- Oracle database was always built optimized with Studio (for the past 15+ years as Sun's ISV partner) and recommended Studio for ProC and plugins
- PeopleSoft, Siebel, Hyperion and JD Edwards was built optimized with Studio from long before these became part of the Oracle family.
- Java VM has always built with Studio from Day 1 and has recommended it for Native Code Development
- Solaris has, of course, been built from Day 1 with Sun compilers and these have played a critical part in developing the best application ecosystem around Solaris (differentiating it from HP/UX, IBM-AIX and Linuxes, whose combined #apps dont match upto Solaris)
- Pretty much every single Sun system Hardware Benchmarking
announcement that involved CPU crunching involved Studio compilers
(exception: early x86/Opteron announcements on Linux when Studio wasnt
on Linux yet)
- Optimized for Sun Systems:
- Support for latest SPARC and x86 Hardware systems. In particular, optimizations for SPARC64-VII, UltraSPARC-T2 (Plus), Intel Xeon 7500 processor series (Nehalem-EX) and the Intel Xeon 5600 processor series (Westmere-EP)
- Math libraries and solvers tuned for each microarchitecture
- Enhanced MT, OpenMP and MPI support throughout the toolchain.
- Optimized for Solaris:
- Tools that take advantage of latest Solaris features such as Dlight (a new tool) and features exposed for profiling (Performance Analyzer)
- Solaris Binary Compatibility Guarantee with industry's only
stable C++ ABI
- Optimized for Developers:
- Innovative new tools: A new memory debugger (Discover) and a new code coverage tool (Uncover).
- OK, not new but pretty much unknown so a plug here wont hurt:
is now back as a standalone tool (since Studio 12 update 1)
- Enhancements to existing tools, such as OCD (optimized code debugging), and improvements in application profiling and observability (Performance Analyzer).
- New and enhanced support offering covered under two development bundles (here). Check out the support pages here.
- Check out the ongoing Studio Forums here for free advice.
- Notice, the tools themselves
continue to be licensed and are free to download.
(check out the license here:)
- Download the latest bits here.
- Get more information from this "Overview" site.
- Check out this guide: What’s New in the Oracle Solaris Studio 12.2 Release
- Check out the datasheet,
release notes, install etc from here.
- Check out the short video introduction from Don Kretsch (Senior Engineering Director of Sun Developer Tools) and Kuldip Oberoi (Senior Software Engineering Manager) as they talk about the new release.
- Read new Whitepapers
- Developing Enterprise Applications with Oracle Solaris Studio Whitepaper
- Developing Parallel Programs — A Discussion of Popular Models Whitepaper
- Oracle Solaris and Sun SPARC Systems—Integrated and Optimized for Enterprise Computing
- Optimizing Applications with Oracle Solaris Studio Compilers and Tools
- Note the End-Of-Life
feature list I had previously listed with the Express release.
It doesnt hurt to reiterate the overall architectural graphic, so here it is again: