Migration from Debian to OpenSolaris
By hnhn on Jan 06, 2009
Taking the advantage of the Christmas break, I took the time and migrated my system from well-known Debian Linux to OpenSolaris. My goal was to make the new environment match my Linux setup as close as possible. Among other things, this meant moving from KDE 3.5.x to GNOME, which I was avoiding as much as possible until now, and Nimbus (the look&feel is great!). Maybe some of the remarks obtained during this process can be interesting for others.
Without going to much detail about individual things, I though I'd put down the results in this article and leave the details open for comments or next articles, if there's demand. So feel free to leave a comment asking for specifics for the listed items.
What went fine:
- zfs: it's great to create a compressed zfs filesystem for specific files, like repository clones, or enable time-slider for the home directory for easy rollbacks
- NTFS read-write support: compiled and installed ntfs-3g project
- ext2/ext3 read support: installed Belenix binary
packages, thanks for that!
only minor drawback being it doesn't handle files larger than 2GB
- panel reconfiguration: weather and system monitoring applets, one-icon menu button
- desktop widgets: conky/superkaramba -> SUNWgdesklets
- keyboard shortcuts redefinition: desktop switching, window maximization, disable F10, etc.
(looking for a hint on how to disable the system-wide 'F1')
- xmodmap key redefinition: add Ins/Del functionality to AltGr/R_Win (~/.xmodmap)
- BSOD screensaver: SUNWxscreensaver-hacks
Applications and their alternatives
- sunstudioexpress, netbeans, gcc, mercurial, mc, vncviewer, ant, OpenOffice.org, gimp (SUNWgnome-img-editor), slocate, gqview, pidgin and more...
- virtualbox: pulled version 2.0.6 from the Extra repository
- mplayer: compiled from source using this guide
unfortunately, http://lifewithsolaris.jp is no longer an option, the repository is down now
- iceweasel -> firefox (~/.mozilla/firefox profiles, addons, passwords, bookmarks); guide
- icedove -> thunderbird (~/.thunderbird, mail filters)
- teminal: keyboard shortcut and system-wide default size modification to fit 4 terminal
windows on the desktop (/usr/share/vte/termcap/xterm
- pidgin (~/.purple)
- vim (~/.vimrc, ~/.vim; backspace to work over line boundary:
- netbeans (~/.netbeans, contains explicit home directory in many files, this may need setting up from scratch)
- mercurial with patch queue support (~/.hgrc :hgext.mq =)
- and more (~/.ssh, ~/.bashrc, ...)
- change the user id (UID) of the user created during installation process (NFS)
- vpn (punchin)
- mercurial bash_completion (/usr/demo/mercurial/bash_completion)
Some of what's left to do:
- some keyboard, mostly gnome-terminal, stuff: Home/End keys, Del key, Previous/Next buttons
- printing: CUPS?
- Acrobat Reader: is planned for 2009; evince will do for now
- Amarok: seems I'll miss this one until KDE4 is on IPS somewhere or I decide to compile it myself
- kdiff3 or equivalent
- k3b or equivalent (SUNWbrasero?)
- get ATi to work: core-dumps now; I'm using on-board Intel; Xorg 1.5 should help
- system-wide bash completion (/etc/bash_completion)