Start with OpenSolaris Translation in a Minute!
By Ales Cernosek on Apr 30, 2009
Have you thought about translation of OpenSolaris project? So you are at the right pages. And moreover: a translation process has never been easier than now.
IntroThere are a lot of ways how to translate any piece of code or online help for OpenSolaris. However I recommend to use CTI tool (Community Translation Interface) developed by G11n Engineering team in Prague. With this tool, the translation process is very easy and fast. In addition to that you can focus only to the content you are going to translate and you do not have to deal with different file formats, different message workspaces and different rules required for integration to a product.
How to Start?
- Sign in SCA form (Sun Contributor Agreement) - this form allows you to contribute to OpenSolaris and other open-sourced project driven by Sun (e.g. Netbeans, GlassFish, etc.). See more details about SCA here.
- Go to the CTI Homepage and register yourself.
By default, non-logged users are treated as anonymous. They can access all projects but with read-only access mode.
- Before starting with translation, I recommend to join your localization group and learn and discuss existing translation process they use. If the group for your language does not exist, you can create a new one by asking this in i18n-discuss discussion forum.
- Select particular CTI translation project, particular file and enter into CTI translation editor. ... And start with translation. Translation projects for OpenSolaris starts with 'OSXXXX.YY' prefix (XXXX, YY are numbers - e.g. OS2009.06) or contain 'OpenSolaris' text inside the name. Details about opened projects are available at OpenSolaris Project Status Page. I highly recommend to review finished projects in order to tune terminology and fix potential bugs created during translation step. It's up to discussion within each l10n team to decide how to proceed with this review step.
- Translated content is integrated to OpenSolaris every month, regularly. If you need on-demand integration, send an email to cti/AT/sun.com alias and we will integrate the content sooner.