By sundararajan on Dec 23, 2008
Ubuntu on PS3
- PS3 is NTSC 60 GB hard disk version - updated with firmware version 2.42.
- PS3 is connected to 32 inch 720p Sony LCD TV via HDMI.
- PS3 is connected to wireless network.
Stuff needed in addition to the above
- USB keyboard.
- USB mouse.
- CD burned with Ubuntu powerpc iso (ubuntu-8.10-alternate-powerpc+ps3.iso).
- Backup your PS3 hard disk using [Settings] -> [System Settings] -> [Backup Utility] menu. I didn't bother to backup the hard disk.
- Go to [Settings] -> [System Settings] > [Format Utility] menu.
- Select [Format Hard Disk] and click [Yes].
- Choose [Custom] and [Allot 10GB to the Other OS].
- Select [Quick Format] and confirm with [Yes].
- Connect USB keyboard and mouse to PS3.
- Insert the disk with Ubuntu iso image into PS3.
- Go to [Settings] -> [System Settings] > [Install Other OS]. PS3 will detect the install CD and copy files and instruct you to ..
- Select [Settings] -> [System Settings] -> [Default System] -> [Other OS]. This will boot PS3 with other OS. From then onwards, follow the Ubuntu installation instructions.
The installation was smooth except for one small issue - the installation seemed to hang in "Select and install software" step. After 6% the progress bar did not increase at all! Fortunately, this seems to be a known issue with text mode installer. Please refer to Ubuntu 8.10 release notes and bug 290234. I pressed Alt-F4 and Alt-F1 to toggle between logging console and main screen to check the progress. Eventually, the installation completed! While installing I configured network as well -- i.e., giving WEP password etc. -- not sure if this is mandatory, but in my case I have wireless connectivity and so I supplied the configuration values for the same.
Switching between Operating Systems
- From Ubuntu to Game OS, use the command
- From Game OS to Ubuntu, use the menu
[Settings] -> [System Settings] -> [Default System] -> [Other OS]