By Tim Smith on Sep 13, 2007
So you have a state-of-the-art enterprise data center that employs Sun products and serves clients across the country. Or, you have a mid-tier-sized business that uses a primary storage area network (SAN) and a remote storage location for backup. In either case, you have a number of Sun assets that need to be managed and maintained over time for the system to operate efficiently. Some things to consider are:
- How to keep track of an ever-changing inventory
- How to keep your inventory of hardware, firmware, and software up to date
- How to maintain required licenses and renewals
- How to easily share data about the system with other asset management tools
- How to compare the system inventory with that of our vendor
Sun addresses these concerns with a lightweight inventory management tool, the Sun Connection Inventory Channel. This is a free web service for Sun customers to significantly decrease system management costs by automating
the IT inventory process. This allows you to focus more on the priorities of your business.
Some of the ways the Sun Connection Inventory Channel can help you are:
- Register Sun software and system assets through an easy-to-use browser interface at a single console with no setup required
- Organize your assets based on location or business function and use inventory filters to view your product information
- Generate reports on your products and export your product data to a variety of file formats for use with third party products
The major elements to the Sun Connection Inventory Channel are:
- Electronic labeling. The Sun Connection Inventory Channel uses digital identifiers called service tags to register Sun products. Service tags contain basic product information and can be embedded in the product software or firmware. You can download service tags for Solaris 8, 9, and 10. For more information, see the Service Tag FAQ.
- Discovery and registration. Product discovery and registration are done with a wizard-based tool at the Sun Connection Inventory Channel portal.
- Managing your Sun assets. After discovery and registration, you can use the Sun Connection Inventory Channel to view, organize, manage, and generate standard reports from the data on your Sun products.
To get started, see the Sun Connection Inventory Channel portal.