By frankdog on Jun 12, 2007
The new Sun Connection Inventory Channel is up and running, enabling you to easily discover, register, and manage your Sun products. This is a pretty valuable service, whether you're trying to register a single installation of the Solaris OS, or trying to keep track of all the Sun products in a large network environment.
The whole process for working with the Inventory Channel looks something like this:
1. Set up your products to work with Service Tags.
Service Tags are a set of XML tags that store basic information about your Sun product and the environment in which they're installed. Some Sun products are currently enabled to work with Service Tags out of the box; other products require a patch or additional packages.
For more information about Service Tags, see the FAQ.
2. Discover the Sun products in your environment.
Go to the Sun Connection Inventory Channel, and click the Discover Now button. The Inventory Channel registration client discovers the Sun products in your environment that are Service Tag enabled.
3. Register your Sun Products.
Once you discover the Sun products in your environment, upload your product information to Sun Connection to register your products.
4. Manage your Sun Products in Sun Connection.
For a detailed review of this process, take a look at this animated tutorial.
After you register your products, you can perform a variety of management tasks through the Sun Connection web interface:
- Organize your products in logical groups
- Create product filters to zero in on particular products
- Create PDF, XML, or comma-separated reports on your products
- Track information updates on your products through RSS feeds