Thursday Feb 12, 2009
Tuesday Feb 10, 2009
By sunabl on Feb 10, 2009
Monday Oct 06, 2008
By sunabl on Oct 06, 2008
For WebSphere Application Server (WAS) on Solaris, IBM bundles it with the Sun JVM that contains IBM's modifications (e.g. IBM ORB, XML and Security libraries) as explained in this blog entry by my colleague Dileep Kumar of Sun.
More specifically, you can find the summary of WAS and its Java versions in the table below. Additional details can be located at this IBM site.
|WAS v7.0||Java EE 5||JDK/JRE 6|
|WAS v6.1||J2EE 1.4||JDK/JRE 5|
|WAS v6.0.2||J2EE 1.4||JDK/JRE 1.4.2|
|WAS v5.1.1||J2EE 1.3||JDK/JRE 1.4.2|
|WAS v5.1||J2EE 1.3||JDK/JRE 1.3.x|
In order to tune WAS JVM on Solaris, it is greatly helpful if you understand the performance tuning aspects of Sun JVM such as Java memory management, Garbage Collectors, etc. You can get performance whitepapers for respective JVM versions here and Java Memory Management Whitepaper. Dileep also has blogged about specific recommended JVM options for WAS on Solaris here.
Finally, there are numerous Sun JVM options and one of the references that I strongly recommend is the collection compiled by Joseph D. Mocker of Sun Microsystem. Of course, we have much more specific information about WAS v6.1 on Solaris 10 in this IBM Redbook (e.g. Chapter 9).
Thursday Apr 17, 2008
Wednesday Apr 16, 2008
By sunabl on Apr 16, 2008
We presented multiple technical sessions at Impact 2008 and certainly appreciated the attendance. We were asked if we'd repeat SIG-2730A, titled "Deployment Best Practices for WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1 on Solaris 10", and we did it on Thursday. We gave away many copies of our Redbook and glad to have received excellent feedbacks. And, we enjoyed autographing them, too.
I'd like to personally thank to all those who attended the sessions, came to meet with us at the "Solution Center", and requested us for individual meetings. We enjoyed discussing about your activities/challenges and how we could help address them. We are glad that we're able to provide value-add solutions for your WebSphere deployment.
I have made the presentations available at:
Sunday Apr 06, 2008
By sunabl on Apr 06, 2008
We are at the IBM Impact 2008 Conference. We'll be presenting 3 sessions as follows:
- Technical Session: Performance Best Practices for WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1 on Solaris 10
Session #: TSM-2447
Session Time: Thu, 10/Apr, 04:45 PM - 06:00 PM
Location: Room 118
- BOF: Deployment Best Practices for WebSphere Application Server Version 6.1 on Solaris 10
Session #: SIG-2730A
- IT Executive Session: Sun and IBM WebSphere Message Broker: Configuration, Deployment and tuning on Solaris 10
Session #: ITE-2695
Thursday Mar 06, 2008
By sunabl on Mar 06, 2008
The final version of the Redbook titled "WebSphere Application Server V6.1 on the Solaris 10 Operating System" has been published. In this book, we document how WebSphere Application Server V6.1 and Solaris 10 can be configured, optimized, and managed. We described how to virtualize and manage WAS installation, deployment strategies and scenarios, the advanced features of Solaris 10 (e.g. SMF, Resource Management, Process Rights, Containers and Zones, ZFS, DTrace), the differences of WAS on Solaris from other platforms (e.g. Sun JDK), how to monitor and tune WAS along with Sun JVM, Solaris, and much more.
I personally would like to thank to all those from both Sun and IBM sides who helped make this project happened as well as those who participated and contributed on the project. I am very appreciative of those reviewers from various Sun and IBM engineering organizations who spent many hours for accuracy and correctness of the content. We tried our best to recognize them in the Preface of the book. If we inadvertently left any of you out, we apologize. I also am thankful for those who sent me great questions and feedback for the book from around the world.
Last but not the least, I must thank my family 'AAAA' for giving me love and support while I was working on the book many weeks and nights away from and at home. Without you, I couldn't have accomplished this. I love you all.
Finally, below are some comments we got so far for the book. Please feel free to send them along, rate it at the Redbook site, or comment here on the blog.
- "Good informations, we use it a lot", "Excellent Redbook...very informative!"
- " Good work.", "Great..We have been waiting for."
- "Excellent", "Very useful, This Redbook is very useful for our Business Partners, because they need the information and technique how to configure/use WebSphere Application Server on Solaris 10 virtualization technology."
So, go download the following and make most use of your Solaris platform -- the best OS on the planet!
- Get the Redbook (SG247584)
- Get Solaris 10
- Download the VMWare image for Solaris 10 Developer's Edition SXDE
Tuesday Jan 29, 2008
By sunabl on Jan 29, 2008
Sun Modular Data Center has already been in deployment around the world:
- Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC), Menlo Park, CA
- Mobile TeleSystems OJSC (MTS) Moscow, Russia
- Hansen Transmissions' (manufacturing facility), India
- Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre (UMCN), the Netherlands
Mostly pertaining to Cloud Computing, Application Infrastructure, Oracle Exastack, Exalogic, Solaris, Java and Sun servers for the enterprise!
- Deploying Oracle RAC DB 11gR2 on LDoms Virtualization
- JDK 6 Performance Features and Update
- JDK 6 Performance Update, WAS v7, Fix Pack 7, and the G1 Collector
- WebSphere Portal Server Scalability on the Solaris 10 CMT Platform
- JavaOne 2009 Recap
- Come see us at Impact 2009
- Solaris Network Tuning for WebSphere Application Environment
- March 24 Invitation to Global WebSphere Community Jam
- Typical data needed for WebSphere performance analysis on Solaris
- Co-locating multiple instances of WebSphere on scalable Sun servers