OpenSolaris: A Sneak Peek
By jennwrx on Mar 30, 2008
Guest Host: Barton George
Guest: Ian Murdock, Chief OS Strategist
OpenSolaris: A Sneak PeekSubscribe to
Ian Murdock has been working hard on OpenSolaris since he arrived on the scene at Sun almost a year ago. Our guest host, Barton George talks with Ian about his role as Chief OS Strategist and why he decided to join Sun. Find out what Ian's biggest concern was...you might be surprised.
With Ian's background in Linux and as the founder of the Debian distribution, he has been able to take a fresh look at OpenSolaris and continues his work towards adapting the best parts of what has worked for Linux into the Solaris technology - combining the best of both worlds.
Project Indiana provided the structure for all the various pieces (installation, modernization and a packaging system). With the latest release, Developer Preview 2, continues to build out the packaging system and repositories.
It was really helpful to listen to the technical discussion on the new distribution model and then see the demo. With the first official release scheduled for May, looks like there are some great things in store for OpenSolaris.
Barton joins Greg Posten, the Geek Gadget Guru for a look at Roboquad, the personality-rich robot from Wowwee. This is definitely worth checking out and very amusing.
- OpenSolaris Project: Indiana - binary distribution of an OS built out of OpenSolaris source code
- Project Caiman - Solaris Install Revisited
- New Image Packaging System (IPS) - software delivery system that interacts with network repository
- Status Updates - development for Indiana is happening in real time
- Tour of Sun's Project Indiana Preview 2 - article written by Michael Larabel
Videos and Demos