By ramya.damodaran on Apr 07, 2009
[Editor's Note: This is the fourth and last of a series of four articles on new AutoConfig features. These articles are written by members of our AutoConfig Development team. This is your opportunity to interact directly with that team with your feedback on this tool.]
The AutoConfig Build Context utility (adbldxml.pl) has traditionally been used by administrators to rebuild the context file in Oracle E-Business Suite 11i. In Apps 11i, the AutoConfig Build Context utility was introduced to allow customers to migrate to AutoConfig easily. Later on, due to numerous changes in the 11i technology stack, it became hard to keep the utility in sync for the Applications tier. So it was not recommended to customers for discretionary use, but instead only when absolutely needed like in case of cross-platform migrations and database upgrades.
Revived for Apps 12
The AutoConfig Build Context utility has been revived and re-introduced in Oracle E-Business Suite R12 for the database tier. It is essential for enabling AutoConfig on the database tier of an R12 E-Business Suite instance in the following scenarios:
- Cross platform migration of DB tier (Metalink Note 456197.1)
- Upgrade of Oracle Applications database Tier from Release 11i to Release 12 (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Upgrade of an existing 10.2.0.X database to 11g database (Metalink Note 735276.1)
How Does it Work?
The AutoConfig Build Context utility reads information from EBS database and environment variables and builds the context file out of the database context template ($ORACLE_HOME/appsutil/template/adxdbctx.tmp). This is illustrated in the figure above.
Running the AutoConfig Build Context Utility
The utility can be run by issuing the following command on the database tier:
Note: In R12, this utility is supported only on the database tier.
Downloading the Latest AutoConfig Engine
Customers on Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 can obtain this new feature by installing:
- Using AutoConfig to Manage System Configurations in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (Metalink Note 387859.1)
- Using Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with a Database Tier Only Platform on Oracle 10g Release 2 (Metalink Note 456197.1)
- Using Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with a Database Tier Only Platform on Oracle 11g Release 1 (Metalink Note 762669.1)
- Interoperability Notes E-Business Suite R12 with Oracle database 11gR1 (11.1.0) (Metalink Note 735276.1)