New Whitepaper: Options for Reducing E-Business Suite Database Sizes
By Steven Chan-Development-Oracle on Dec 04, 2008
I have yet to encounter a database that ever got smaller. Like waistlines, all databases seem destined to increase in size. The E-Business Suite is no exception: as we add more product capabilities and your business grows, so do your Apps databases.
Oracle-supplied solutions to managing Applications database size fall into two categories: data growth control methods and data management methods.
Growth Control Methods
- Archiving and purging
- Database compression
Data Management Methods
- Database Partitioning
- Oracle Information Lifecycle Management (ILM)
A new Oracle whitepaper discussing these topics is now available:
- Reducing Your Oracle E-Business Suite Data Footprint using Archiving, Purging, and Information Lifecycle Management (Metalink Note 752322.1)
This whitepaper discusses how these approaches can be used either individually or together to meet your requirements. Some examples scenarios:
Adopt a 100% pure archive and purge strategy where any important data is initially archived and then finally purged when it is no longer needed. The archived tables could be placed in a read-only schema and the datafiles could be resized to reduce their
physical space. In addition, database compression feature could be used in conjunction with or as an alternative to resizing the datafiles.
Customers could adopt a combination of an archive/purge and ILM strategy, where inactive data is put onto cheaper storage, then after a period of time, this data is archived and eventually purged. Alternatively, customers could choose not to use ILM but
instead use database partitioning.
Customers could fully implement ILM and. and place less frequently accessed data, that would ordinarily be archived and purged, onto cheaper and less expensive storage devices.
- Customers could use a 3rd Party archiving product with Oracle’s ILM technologies.
Although there's a lot of conceptual and strategically-oriented material in this whitepaper, it also has concrete and practical information about:
- The E-Business Suite Purge Portal
Archiving and purging programs and affected tables for the following products:
- Oracle General Ledger (GL)
- Oracle Payables/Oracle Purchasing (AP/PO)
- Oracle Receivables (AR)
- Oracle Cash Management (CE)
- Oracle Fixed Assets (FA)
- Oracle Cost Management (CST)
- Order Management (ONT)
- Oracle Application Object Library (FND) and Workflow (WF)
How to use the Oracle ILM Assistant with an E-Business Suite environment
- Defining data classes
- Creating storage tiers for data classes
- Creating data migration policies
- Defining and enforcing compliance policies
- Considerations when creating an information lifecycle management framework for Apps data