TDE Tablespace Encryption 220.127.116.11 Certified with EBS 12
By Steven Chan - EBS-Oracle on May 19, 2010
What is Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) ?
Oracle Advanced Security Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) allows you to protect data at rest. TDE helps address privacy and PCI requirements by encrypting personally identifiable information (PII) such as Social Security numbers and credit card numbers.
TDE is completely transparent to existing applications with no triggers, views or other application changes required. Data is transparently encrypted when written to disk and transparently decrypted after an application user has successfully authenticated and passed all authorization checks. Authorization checks include verifying the user has the necessary select and update privileges on the application table and checking Database Vault, Label Security and Virtual Private Database enforcement policies.
Existing database backup routines will continue to work, with the data at rest remaining encrypted in the backup. For encryption of entire database backups, TDE can be used in combination with Oracle RMAN.
What is Tablespace Encryption ?
New in Oracle Database 11g, the Oracle Advanced Security now includes support for tablespace encryption.
When a tablespace is created through Enterprise Manager or on the command line, an option now exists to specify that the file be encrypted on the file system. When new data is added to the new tablespace using the insert command or datapump, entire tables will be transparently encrypted. When the database reads data blocks from the encrypted tablespace it will transparently decrypt the data blocks.
With this certification, Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 environments can be migrated to the latest 11gR2 18.104.22.168 version of encrypted tablespaces. For more information, please refer to:
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.0.4 and higher
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.1 and higher
- Linux x86 (Oracle Enterprise Linux 4, 5)
- Linux x86
(RHEL 4, 5)
- Linux x86 (SLES 10)
- Linux x86-64
(Oracle Enterprise Linux 4, 5)
- Linux x86-64 (RHEL 4, 5)
x86-64 (SLES 10)
- Oracle Solaris on SPARC (64-bit) (Solaris 10)
- Oracle Solaris on x86-64 (64-bit)
- IBM AIX on Power Systems (64-bit) (5.3 and 6.1)
- HP-UX Itanium (11.31)
Certifications for the following platforms are still underway:
- HP-UX PA-RISC (64-bit) (11.31)
- Microsoft Windows Server (32-bit) (2003, 2008)
- Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit) (2003, 2008, 2008 R2)
- Database Security - Transparent Data Encryption FAQ from OTN
- Oracle® Advanced Security - Transparent Data Encryption Best Practices from OTN
- Oracle® Database Advanced Security Administrator's Guide 11g Release 1 (11.1) (Part No. B28530-03), Chapter 3
- 11gR2 Database Certified with E-Business Suite 12
- TDE Tablespace Encryption 22.214.171.124 Certified with EBS 11i