Support Implications for Your EBS Customizations
By Steven Chan - EBS-Oracle on Jan 21, 2014
I've published this guidance in various articles before but it never hurts to consolidate it here for new readers.
You may choose to:
- Modify or extend the E-Business Suite code that we ship
- Add new database objects or modify existing database objects that we ship
- Modify our standard EBS database partitioning schemes or add your own custom partitions
- Introduce various forms of third-party virtualization technologies for any of the E-Business Suite's three tiers -- the database tier, the application server tier, or the desktop tier
- Use third-party tools to modify your database directly
- Integrate third-party software with your EBS environment, say, for reporting purposes, or to obtain additional industry-specific functionality
- Use third-party tools to manage or configure your EBS environment
- Run EBS on a third-party file system
Where these activities fall on a risk spectrum depends on their invasiveness. The more invasive a customization is, the greater its potential risk. Oracle generally recommends against invasive customizations.
Oracle's official policy on handling customizations is detailed here:
- Oracle Support Services Policy Regarding Customizations (Note 122452.1)
The support implications boil down to this:
- Issues that are isolated to the E-Business Suite will be investigated by E-Business Suite Development.
- Issues that are isolated to your customizations or third-party tools should be directed to the third-party vendor.
- E-Business Suite Development will provide E-Business Suite
Development patches for issues that can be reproduced in environments
built using E-Business Suite documented procedures and tools.
- If the third-party vendor cannot resolve issues isolated to their tools, you should restore from a backup and revert to using Oracle’s documented tools and procedures.
- Can You Use Third-Party Tools to Modify Your EBS Database?
- Certification and Support for Third-Party Products
- To Customize or Not to Customize?
- Support Policies for Virtualization Technologies and Oracle E-Business Suite