Sun JRE 1.6.0_27 Certified with Oracle E-Business Suite
By Steven Chan-EBS Development-Oracle on Aug 17, 2011
Some questions following our last JRE certification indicated that there's still lingering confusion about which JRE releases are safe to use with E-Business Suite environments. To recap: JRE releases 1.6.0_18 through 1.6.0_22 had issues with mismanaging session cookies that affected some users in some circumstances.
The fix for those issues was first included in JRE 1.6.0_23. These fixes will carry forward and continue to be fixed in all future JRE releases. In other words, if you wish to avoid the mismanaged session cookie issue, you should apply any release after JRE 1.6.0_22: for example, JRE 1.6.0_23, 1.6.0_24, 1.6.0_25, and 1.6.0_26.
As of today, you can also apply Sun Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_27 (a.k.a. JRE 6u27-b07). JRE 1.6.0_27 is certified with E-Business Suite Release 11i and 12.
All JRE releases are certified with EBS upon release
Our standard policy is that all E-Business Suite customers can apply all JRE updates to end-user desktops from JRE 1.6.0_03 and higher. We test all new JRE releases in parallel with the JRE development process, so all JRE releases are considered certified with the E-Business Suite on the same day that they're released by our Java team.
You do not need to wait for a certification announcement before applying new JRE releases to your EBS users' desktops. If you wish, your desktop administrators can enable the Java "Automatic updates" option on your end-users' desktops.
What's new in Java 1.6.0_27?
See the 1.6.0_27 Update Release Notes for details about what has changed in this release. This release is available for download from the usual Sun channels and through the 'Java Automatic Update' mechanism.
JRE 1.6.0_27 provides the following fixes and functionality change that may affect Oracle E-Business Suite customers:
- The browser window opening behind the Forms window issue is now fixed for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users running IE.
- Selecting the "Close Window" Link through Internet Explorer will no longer display a modal window with the prompt, "The webpage you are viewing is trying to close the tab, Do you want to close this tab?".
- Due to JRE6u27 now adhering more strictly to the IE browser settings, "File Export" and certain "Form Attachments" will now fail through IE without the correct browser setting for IE6, IE7 & IE8 users.
This JRE release has been certified with both Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i and 12. We recommend this release for all E-Business Suite users.
- Recommended Browsers for Oracle Applications 11i (Metalink Note 285218.1)
- Upgrading Sun JRE (Native Plug-in) with Oracle Applications 11i for Windows Clients (Metalink Note 290807.1)
- Recommended Browsers for Oracle Applications 12 (MetaLink Note 389422.1)
- Upgrading JRE Plugin with Oracle Applications R12 (MetaLink Note 393931.1)
- Mismanaged Session Cookie Issue Fixed for EBS in JRE 1.6.0_23
- Roundup: Oracle JInitiator 1.3 Desupported for EBS Customers in July 2009