Sun Java Plug-in 1.6.0_10 Certified with the E-Business Suite
By Steven Chan-Development-Oracle on Oct 22, 2008
Regular readers know that you're now free to use whatever version of the native Sun Java plug-in with the E-Business Suite as long as you meet certain minimum requirements. Nonetheless, the latest Sun JRE is a bit of a new animal, so my team performed an explicit set of certification tests to ensure that it's as compatible as previous releases.
Based on those latest test, we've confirmed that the latest Sun Java Runtime Engine (JRE) native plug-in release 6u10 (JRE 1.6.0_10) is compatible with both Oracle Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i and 12 on Windows-based desktop clients.
This is the first release from Sun to incorporate the 'Next Generation Java Plug-in' architecture. This architecture can be used with all previous JRE plug-in releases, and provides an option to continue use of the 'classic' java plug-in architecture if required.
The new architecture is supported on:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6 and later on Windows XP and Windows Vista desktop clients
JRE 6u10 can be used with Firefox 2.0, however it will not use the new architecture and will simply default to the 'classic' java plug-in by default even with the new architecture turned on.
Note: JRE 6u10 is also compatible with Firefox 3.0. However, we're still working on our certification of the E-Business Suite with Firefox 3 right now. Some bugs have been identified that require some OA Framework layer patches, which we're testing now. I don't have firm schedules for our Firefox 3 certification yet, but you're welcome to monitor or subscribe to this blog for updates, which I'll post as soon as soon as they're available.
Which JRE Versions Are Certified With Which Browsers?
This depends on your Windows operating version and the browser that your firm has deployed. Various combinations of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 6 and 7, and Firefox are now certified with JRE 1.5 and 1.6. To review the new minimum certification levels, see:
- Upgrading Sun J2SE (Native Plug-in) with Oracle Applications 12.0 for Windows Clients (Metalink Note 393931.1)
- Upgrading Sun J2SE (Native Plug-in) with Oracle Applications 11i for Windows Clients (Metalink Note 290807.1)
- New features and changes in the JRE 6u10 Release Notes
- Deploying Sun JRE (Native Plug-in) for Windows Clients in Oracle E-Business Suite 11i (MetaLink Note 290807.1)
- Deploying Sun JRE (Native Plug-in) for Windows Clients in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (MetaLink Note 393931.1)