Sneak Preview: Portlet Generator and Business Service Object Generator for EBS (OpenWorld 2008 Recap)
By Steven Chan (Oracle Development) on Nov 17, 2008
I'm going to get through my OpenWorld backlog eventually. If I'm lucky, I'll be done just in time to start working on my OAUG/Collaborate backlog for next year's conference in Florida.
I'm (still) highlighting OpenWorld 2008 presentations that cover some of the most popular E-Business Suite technology stack topics. A catalog of all of the Applications Technology track sessions with links to the presentations is available here:
Ramkumar Sekar, a manager in our Applications Technology Group, gave sneak previews of two new developer-oriented tools for extending OA Framework applications in this session:
The first new tool -- a Portlet Generator -- is designed to make it easier to develop custom portlets by extracting existing content out of existing OAF regions in an E-Business Suite environment. These portlets can then be displayed in any WSRP or JSR-168-compatible portal, including Oracle's own WebCenter and other third-party portal products. This tool comes in to flavours, one for generating static portlets during build time, and another for generating dynamic portlets at runtime (!).
The second set of tools is designed to make it easier to make it easier to expose web services through Business Service Objects (BSO). Business Service Objects can be deployed into the E-Business Suite's Integration Repository and provide web services via the EBS integrated SOA Gateway. This set of tools includes a Service Application Module wizard, a Service View Object wizard, a Business Service Generator, and a Business Service Object API tester.
These tools haven't been released yet, and as usual, I don't have a firm schedule that yet. Nonetheless, this session is worth checking out if you're interested in seeing what's to come in the near future.
Ramkumar covers the following topics in his session:
- Overview of OA Framework design objectives
- Personalization types, and distinguishing between personalizations and extensions
- Architecture for extending OA Framework applications
- Portal strategy and EBS capabilities
- Portlet generator for static and dynamic use cases
- Overview of service-oriented architecture (SOA) and Business Service Objects
- Architecture for extending EBS via SOA
- Architecture, flow, and features of Business Service Objects
- Development cycle for building Business Service Objects with the upcoming Service Application Module Wizard, the Service View Object wizard, and the Business Service Generator
- Testing Business Service Object APIs via the BSO API Tester
- Deploying Business Service Objects to the E-Business Suite Integration Repository
- Security implications for Business Service Objects
- Service invocation
Ramkumar's session included live demonstrations of these tools. These aren't included in this presentation, but I suspect that Ramkumar would be pleased to share more details about them if you post any questions here.
- Integration Simplified: Native Service-Oriented Architecture in Oracle E-Business Suite (OpenWorld 2008 Recap)
- Java Authentication + Authorization Services (JAAS) for E-Business Suite (OpenWorld 2008 Recap)
- E-Business Suite + Fusion Middleware Best Practices Center Launched
- New Whitepaper: Mod_plsql and E-Business Suite 12
- New Whitepaper: E-Business Suite Development Using OAF & ADF