Reader Survey: Any Mobile Blog Readers Out There?

iPhone%20blog%20Screenshot.PNG

It's time for a quick reader poll. I just got an iPhone 3G and I am irrationally happy with it. One of the first websites I visited was this blog, naturally. That was a pretty educational experience. It got me reflecting on trends in mobile accessibility for websites, notwithstanding the almost-deafening hype around Apple's latest object of desire.

Obviously, the end-consumer market has increasing momentum around mobile device usage, but what about the corporate market? If the tremendous market response to Oracle's Business Intelligence Applications for the iPhone is any indication, interest in these devices in enterprise settings is growing rapidly.

The RSS feeds for this blog via Google Reader work really well.  The full-feed articles and graphics reformat nicely into the iPhone's smaller display. The actual website, however, is a bit of a different matter. While it's as usable on the iPhone as any other site, it got me to wondering how many of you might be interested in accessing this site from a mobile device.

If accessing this kind of information from a mobile device is important to you while you're on the road, post a comment below. Any information about your mobile device's screen resolution would be helpful, too. If there's sufficient demand, I'll see what I can do about formatting a special homepage just for mobile readers.

Comments:

90% of the time, Google Reader is adequate for accessing this blog via my "classis" iPhone. Accessing with Safari ...and a whole bunch of finger pinch moves...gets me through the remaining 10%. So, personally, I think you're good "as is". Of course, other readers may have different thoughts...

Posted by FLOYD on August 11, 2008 at 08:25 AM PDT #

Check out MoFuse. You can easily setup a mobile version of your blog (including an iPhone friendly version) with support for custom domains.

Posted by Arun on August 11, 2008 at 11:24 AM PDT #

Steven,

I use a "classic" iPhone to read your blog now via google reader. Even though it's adequate, it would be nice to see you move to the mobile version in the near future. I vote yes. :-)

thx,
John

Posted by John Stouffer on August 11, 2008 at 11:37 PM PDT #

Hi,

I use a Blackberry Pearl to read this blog (240 x 260 pixels 16 bits Color ie: 65,536). For readers, I'm using Viigo right now, but I was using the operamini browser for some time. iPhone will be released in our country next month, but i doubt that our company will certify it as an approved company phone any time soon.

I Think thats great that you take these platforms in account. So far I see very few efforts in mobile computing inside Oracle. Take Metalink for example, the next move to a full flash interface is great for standard PCs, but I miss a truly mobile support in the near future. Operamini does a good job to display SR status, but I'm unable to update them when I'm in the field.

Regards

Posted by Ricardo Sanz on August 12, 2008 at 01:58 AM PDT #

Steven,

Not a bad idea at all - personally, I am a bit behind the times :-) and read this blog from a traditional computer. I suppose as we go along with improvements in technology, I will eventually read this blog from a mobile device. I am assuming that the format/content of this blog will evolve to suit the most common "browser" of the moment. I think it would be interesting to know if there were statistics available that capture this information (how many total hits and what percentage of those came from traditional computer browsers vs mobile device browsers).

Thanks
Srini Chavali

Posted by Srini Chavali on August 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM PDT #

I also used Blackberry set to read this blog. :)

Posted by zema on August 25, 2008 at 07:23 PM PDT #

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: NOT allowed
About

Search

Categories
Archives
« April 2014
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  
1
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
   
       
Today