Oracle E-Business Suite Platform Smörgåsbord
By tnoyes-Oracle on Feb 26, 2010
Yes, we have a Smörgåsbord!
One of the definitions of smörgåsbord is "a set of a great number of opportunities to combine." This brief article (corresponding to my entrance into the world of blogging) describes the Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS) platform smörgåsbord. While 'platform' can mean different things to different people, here it means an "operating system and hardware architecture combination." So, think "Linux x86" (as in the operating system Linux on the x86 architecture) or "Solaris SPARC" (similarly, Solaris on the SPARC architecture).
We split EBS platforms into two categories:
- E-Business Suite Certified
- Database tier only
What is an E-Business Suite Certified Platform?
E-Business Suite certified platforms are platforms for which both the application and database tiers of E-Business Suite are supported, and for which there is a corresponding release package. The term "E-Business Suite certified" is synonymous with "Rapid Install Supported". Here are the E-Business Suite certified platforms for EBS Release 12.1.1 at the time of this writing:
- Linux x86
- Linux x86-64
- HP-UX Itanium
- HP-UX PA-RISC (64-bit)
- IBM AIX on Power Systems (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server (32-bit)
- Oracle Solaris SPARC (64-bit)
What is a Database Tier Only Certification?
Database tier only platforms are supported for the database tier only. There is no corresponding EBS release package, so customers must perform a separate database install and migration. Here are the database tier only platforms for EBS Release 12.1.1 at the time of this writing:
- Linux Itanium
- IBM: Linux on System z (formerly zSeries Based Linux)
- IBM: Linux on POWER Systems
- Microsoft Windows x64 (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Itanium(64-bit)
- Oracle Solaris x86-64 (64-bit)
For Release 11i, we used the nomenclature "Split Configuration Database Tier" to refer to a configuration which included a database tier only platform. In Release 12, we use "Mixed Platform Architecture" to refer to a configuration where the application and database tiers are located on different platforms, either by choice or because not all tiers are certified on a particular platform. Once a database tier is certified for a given platform (say, 11gR2 on Sun Solaris SPARC 64-bit), it can be combined with any supported application tier platform.
See the Certification Information on My Oracle Support for exact versions and platforms certified with E-Business Suite.
Enjoy the smörgåsbord!
- Using Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with a Database Tier Only Platform on Oracle 10g Release 2 (Note 456197.1)
- Using Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with a Database Tier Only Platform on Oracle 11g Release 1 (Note 762669.1)
- Using Oracle E-Business Suite with a Split Configuration Database Tier on Oracle 11g Release 2 (Note 946413.1)
- Using Oracle Applications with a Split Configuration Database Tier on Oracle 10g Release 2 (Note 369693.1)
- Interoperability Notes - Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0) (Note 1058763.1)
- Export/Import Process for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i Database Instances Using Oracle Database 11g Release 1 or 11g Release 2 (Note 557738.1)