Optimizing R12 Performance via OC4J Load-Balancing
By Prasad Akkiraju on Feb 19, 2008
Oracle Application Server provides features that allow customers to load balance their middle tier deployments. OC4J Clustering in OracleAS 10g is one such deployment that is widely used in load balanced configurations.
Starting with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.0.2 (Release Update Pack 2), we support OC4J Clustering as part of AutoConfig's load balancing deployment options. This configuration option is supported for the OC4J instance running out of R12's 10.1.3 ORACLE_HOME.
Clustering ModelOracle Application Server 10g 10.1.3 supports various models for OC4J clustering:
- Dynamic node discovery
- Static discovery servers
- Cross topology gateways
- Manual node configuration.
Figure-1 static node-to-node communication model
Release 12 supports the following deployment options with OC4J clustering:
- Single Web Entry Point
- Multiple Web Entry Points
- Oracle Applications Technology Stack Patch Set 2 5917601 or higher.
- This Patch Set is included in the R12.ATG_PF.A.DELTA.2 5917344 and the Release 12.0.2 (Release Update Pack 2)
- Refer to Section 2 of the document - Using Load-Balancers with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (Metalink Note 380489.1)
Configuring OC4J Load BalancingConfiguring both deployment options requires:
- Changing the E-Business Suite Context file using the Context File Editor
- Running AutoConfig
- Restarting the application tier server processes.
In this deployment option, there is single web entry point for the OC4J applications - oacore, forms and oafm services are configured to run on all or some of the application tier nodes.
Figure-2: Deployment model with Single Web Entry point and OC4J application running on all the nodes
Multiple Web Entry Points
In this deployment option, there are multiple web entry points with OC4J applications running on selected application tier nodes.
Figure-3: Deployment model with Multiple Web Entry points and OC4J applications running on selected nodes
- Using Load-Balancers with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (Metalink Note 380489.1)
Containers for J2EE Configuration and Administration Guide 10g Release 3 (10.1.3) Administrator's Guide