Java SE 6 Certified With Release 11i
By Steven Chan - EBS-Oracle on Sep 07, 2007
[Jan 28, 2008 Update: Added IBM AIX and HP-UX PA-RISC to the list of certified platforms]
Out with the old, in with the new. I'm very pleased to announce that the E-Business Suite Release 11i is now certified with Sun Java SE 6 for use on application tier servers.
A Rose by Any Other Name
Before getting into the details about this new certification, it's unavoidable that I spend some time on terminology. Apparently, the latest iteration of the full name of this product family delivered by Sun Microsystems is:
- Sun Java Platform, Standard Edition 6.
- Short form: Java SE 6
- Java Standard Edition Development Kit 6
- Short form: JDK 6
- JDK 6 Update 2
- JDK 6u2
For simplicity, for the remainder of this article (and in our official certification documentation), we'll use the term JDK 6.
What's Newly Certified?
Sun JDK 6u2 (1.6.0_2) is certified for use on application tiers for:
- E-Business Suite Release 11.5.10.CU2 with ATG_PF.H RUP 5 or higher
- E-Business Suite Release 11.5.9.CU2 with ATG_PF.H RUP 5 or higher
- Sun Solaris (SPARC) 8, 9, and 10
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES 4
- Red Hat Enterprise AS/ES 3
- Red Hat Enterprise AS/ES 2.1
- Microsoft Windows 2003 (x86)
- IBM AIX
- HP-UX PA-RISC
Why Bother Upgrading?
JDK 1.3 has since passed its end-of-life threshold, so if you're still on that release, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to one of the supported versions: 1.4, 5 (1.5), or 6.
If you're still running on JDK 1.4 and are having trouble with JVM performance, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to either JDK 5 or 6. These latest two releases offer dramatically improved JVM monitoring and tuning tools not available in previous releases.
Full details for upgrading your E-Business Suite Release 11i environment to JDK 6 can be found here:
- Using JDK Version 6 with Oracle E-Business Suite 11i, Releases 11.5.10 & 11.5.9 (Metalink Note 401561.1)
- Latest JVM Tuning Recommendations for Apps 11i
- Replacing Jinitiator: Java Plug-In 1.5.0_12 Certified with Apps 11i & 12
- Understanding J2SE 1.3 End-of-Life Implications for Apps 11i