Switching to Cumulative Critical Patch Updates for E-Business Suite 11i
By Steven Chan (Oracle Development) on Jan 25, 2010
[Editor: This article is written by Krishna Kappaganti, a Director in our Applications Technology Integration group. Krishna is part of the team that produces the quarterly Critical Patch Updates for E-Business Suite.]
Historically with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i, you were required to apply individual patches in the order specified in the
E-Business suite Critical Patch Updates Knowledge document for that
Critical Patch Update (CPU). If you missed one or more Critical Patch
Updates, you needed to review E-Business Suite Critical Patch
Updates Knowledge documents related to all those missed CPUs and apply all listed
patches one-by-one to come up to the latest required prerequisites.
Compare that process to applying Critical Patch Updates to Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (12.0 and 12.1), Oracle Database, and Oracle Fusion Middleware: those products' CPUs are cumulative. You can simply apply a single patch that contains all the fixes from previous Oracle security alerts and Critical Patch Updates and be at the latest CPU level.
With the introduction of CPU Cumulative
Patches for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2, starting with CPUJan2010, things have changed in an important way. E-Business Suite Release 11i sysadmins now have a convenient way of getting up-to-date on the latest Critical Patch Updates with a single patch.
As you might infer from their name, CPU Cumulative Patches include the latest versions of all patches produced for the Oracle E-Business Suite baseline since the beginning of Critical Patch Updates on that baseline. In other words, they include:
- Patches contained in prior Critical Patch Updates for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2 on the baseline
- Patches from previous Oracle security alerts applicable for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2 on the baseline
- Latest patches needed for the present Critical Patch Update
The CPU Cumulative Patches on the Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2 baseline are similar to those produced for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (12.0 and 12.1).
How many Baselines do we have?
There are two baselines available for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2: ATG RUP 6 and ATG RUP 7.
The CPU Cumulative Patch on Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2 ATG RUP 6 can be applied by all Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2 customers who have applied ATG RUP 6 to their environments. Similarly the CPU Cumulative Patch on Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2 ATG RUP 7 can be applied by all Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i10 CU2 customers who have applied ATG RUP 7 to their environments.
Oracle E-Business Suite Release customers on the 11i10 baseline without Consolidated Update 2 continue to receive individual patches for Critical Patch Updates; no cumulative patch exists for that baseline.
[Editor: as of November 2010, EBS 11.5.10 Consolidated Update 2 will be part of the new minimum prerequisites for Extended Support for Apps 11i. If you're not already running 11.5.10 CU2, you should make plans to apply this patch as soon as possble.]
How to apply the CPU Cumulative Patch
CPU Cumulative Patches can be applied like any other patch. The sequence is:
- Review the E-Business Suite CPU Knowledge document for the CPU.
- Apply all Database and Fusion Middleware patches applicable following the E-Business Suite CPU Knowledge document instructions and referring the other relevant CPU Knowledge documents.
- Identify the applicable Cumulative Patch for your E-Business Suite environment (ATG RUP 6 or ATG RUP 7)
the prerequisite patches following instructions in the README of the
CPU Cumulative Patch. Note that the pre-requisite patches may vary
depending on the products installed in your E-business Suite
environment. It may sometimes be necessary for customers using certain
products to move to a minimum supported level for that product.
- Apply the CPU Cumulative Patch.
- Apply the post-install patches following the instructions in README of the CPU Cumulative Patch. Note that the prerequisite patches may vary depending on the products installed in your E-business Suite environment.
- Oracle E-Business Suite Releases 11i and 12 Critical Patch Update Knowledge Document (January 2010) (Note 985520.1)
- New Minimum Patching Baselines for E-Business Suite 11i Extended Support
- Critical Patch Update for January 2010 Now Available
- New Whitepaper: Best Practices for Adopting E-Business Suite Release 12
- Critical Data Protection + Security in EBS (OpenWorld 2009 Recap)
- Reporting E-Business Suite Security Issues to Oracle Support