Using Two New Oracle Database 11gR2 Features With EBS
By user532683 on Nov 28, 2010
With the recent announcement of Oracle Database 11gR2 (126.96.36.199) certification with Oracle E-Business Suite, we've also certified two new features with the E-Business Suite to make your life a little easier.
These two new features are:
- The Single Client Access Name (SCAN) feature that was introduced with the Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Grid Infrastructure to simplify client access to database services.
- No need to disable Fast Validation before performing Applications maintenance or upgrade operations.
Single Client Access Name support for EBS environments
Single Client Access Name (SCAN) is an Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) 11gR2 feature that provides a single name for clients to access Oracle databases running in a cluster. This means that the client's connect information can remain the same if cluster nodes are added or removed.
The SCAN feature is now certified for use with the EBS AutoConfig configuration management tool, and can be deployed with EBS by following the steps below.
- Meet the configuration prerequisites for using the SCAN listener, as per My Oracle Support Knowledge Document Using Oracle 11g Release 2 Real Application Clusters with Oracle
E-Business Suite Release 12 (Doc ID 823587.1).
- Set the following AutoConfig parameters as shown below:
- s_scan_name = <SCAN Name>
- s_scan_port = <SCAN Port>
- s_update_scan = <TRUE>
No Need to Disable Fast Validation
With database versions prior to Oracle 11gR2 (188.8.131.52), you needed to disable Fast Validation in the database when performing Applications upgrades or maintenance operations.
To disable Fast Validation, you needed to add the following parameter to the database initialization parameter file:
Failing to set this in Oracle Database 11gR1 (184.108.40.206) or 11gR2 (220.127.116.11) could lead to invalid objects and forms or reports compilation failures, potentially causing problems with product functional flows.
Starting with 11gR2 (18.104.22.168), this parameter no longer needs to be set for upgrade or
maintenance operations (and then unset again for normal operations). This is one less thing for you to have to remember.
- Using Oracle 11g Release 2 Real Application Clusters with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (Doc ID 823587.1)
- 11gR2 Grid Infrastructure Single Client Access Name (SCAN) Explained (Doc ID 887522.1)
- Interoperability Notes EBS R12 with Database 11gR2 (Doc ID 1058763.1)
- Interoperability Notes - Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i with Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0) (Doc ID 881505.1)
- Oracle Grid Infrastructure Installation Guide 11g Release 2 (11.2) Linux