By Rekha Ayothi-Oracle on May 16, 2014
Oracle E-Business Suite Integrated SOA Gateway (ISG) was introduced in E-Business Suite (EBS) Release 12.1, as an infrastructure to provide and consume SOAP based Web Services. In EBS R12.2.3, ISG is enhanced to provide REST-based Web Services.
What is REST?
REST stands for Representational State Transfer. It is an architectural style for distributed hypermedia systems. The term REST was introduced and described by Roy Fielding in 2000, in his doctoral dissertation - Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures. This REST architectural style may be applied to web services. Note that REST is not a standard and its implementation often varies to suit application needs.
Using a PL/SQL API as a REST Service
E-Business Suite public PL/SQL APIs can be deployed as REST-based Web Services from the E-Business Suite's Integration Repository. One or more methods of the API can be selected to be exposed as functionally-secure REST resources. Each of these resources can be identified by an URI. These resources can then be manipulated by making HTTP request to the URI. As of R12.2.3, ISG supports POST HTTP Verb for REST Services. This feature is also available for custom PL/SQL APIs registered in the Integration Repository.
Unlike EBS SOAP Services, REST Services are deployed in EBS’s OAFM Managed Server. These REST Services do not depend on external Fusion Middleware components like Oracle SOA Suite. These are simple, lightweight REST Services suited for UI integrations and mobile applications.
Key features of EBS REST Services
- Supports POST HTTP Verb
- Supports XML and JSON message format
- Described in WADL, XSDs
- Supports HTTP Basic and Token based Authentication
- Predeployed EBS Security Services
EBS Security Services
EBS Security Services are a special group of predeployed REST services that provide authentication and authorization for EBS users. These include:
- Login and Logout Service
- Application Context Initialize & Retrieval Service
- Access Control Service
You can search for these services by selecting ‘Interface Subtype’ as Category and ‘Security Services’ as Category Value in More Search Options region as shown above.
I am looking forward to hear your feedback on Integrated SOA Gateway and REST Services. You can mail me at .
- Section B: Configuring Oracle E-Business Suite REST Services (MOS Note: 1311068.1)
- Information on REST Web Services (ISG User's Guide, Part No: E20923-08)
- Administering REST Web Services (ISG Implementation Guide, Part No: E20925-08)
- Using PL/SQL API as REST Web Service (ISG Developer's Guide, Part No. E20927-08)
- Securing E-Business Suite Web Services with Integrated SOA Gateway
- Configuring Integrated SOA Gateway in Multinode EBS Environments
- New Whitepaper: Primer on Integrating with EBS 12 with Other Applications