By Steven Chan-EBS Development-Oracle on Mar 27, 2013
Our Identity Management team has just published an important change in the Oracle Software Technical Support Policies document (March, 2013):
"For customers with a current support contract for Oracle Single Sign-On 10gR3, Extended Support will be made available until December 2013 at then-current Extended Support fees. During this period, Extended Support will be limited to Severity 1 fixes only; critical patch updates will not be made available."
This is important if you've been wondering how to deal with this challenge:
- You know that Oracle Access Manager has supplanted Oracle Single Sign-On.
- You integrated Oracle Single Sign-On 10g with your E-Business Suite 11i environment several years ago.
- You plan to switch from Oracle Single Sign-On to Oracle Access Manager as part of your EBS 12 upgrade.
- You want to get to EBS 12, but want to perform your EBS upgrade and OAM migrations different downtimes.
- You've been staring at the latest EBS support timelines and deliberating your options:
All of the crucial pieces for this are now in place:
- Oracle Access Manager 11.1.2 is certified with EBS 22.214.171.124.
- Support for Oracle Single Sign-On 10g has been extended to Dec. 31, 2013.
- EBS 11.5.10's Exception to Sustaining Support has been extended to Dec. 31, 2014.
- EBS 12.1's Extended Support has been extended to Dec. 31, 2018.
This means that you have sufficient support coverage for all major components while you do this in a multi-phase implementation. You can migrate your EBS 11i environment from Oracle SSO 10g to Oracle Access Manager 11.1.2 this year, in one initial downtime. You can then upgrade that environment from EBS 11i to EBS 12.1.3 in a later downtime.
Your implementation phases will look like this:
- Today: EBS 11i + Oracle Single Sign-On 10.1.4.3
- Interim phase: EBS 11i + Oracle Access Manager 11.1.2
- Final phase: EBS 12.1.3 + Oracle Access Manager 11.1.2
Each of these undertakings can be fairly major initiatives on their own, so breaking the overall project into smaller parts helps you manage your risk. I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences with this kind of combined migration + upgrade implementation approach. Please feel free to post a comment here or drop me a line privately.
- EBS 11i and 12.1 Support Timeline Changes
- Oracle Access Manager 11.1.2 Certified With E-Business Suite 11i
- Oracle Access Manager 11.1.2 Certified with E-Business Suite 12
- Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1.3 Now Available