ZFS Discovery Days
By Stewart Townsend on Dec 17, 2008
Featuring a live demonstration of the Sun Zettabyte File System (ZFS) working with Sun Open Storage hardware
Understand how to take full advantage of ZFS features using Sun's World Leading Coolthreads servers, Sun X64 servers and Sun's Open Storage arrays.
ZFS simplifies file and volume management whilst dramatically reducing operating costs and increasing data consistency
- The massive growth and diversity of storage requirements means that it is becoming complex and expensive to manage your data using traditional file systems and volume managers
- With traditional solutions, there is no guarantee that data has not been 'silently corrupted' somewhere in the system, however expensive your storage array
- Many traditional solutions are inflexible when data requirements change leading to over-provisioning or downtime for re-builds
- Storage software, to perform tasks such as Snapshots and Replication, can often be as expensive as the hardware and involve additional costs when hardware is upgraded
- ZFS changes all of this...removing the need for volume managers and providing end to end checksums meaning that data integrity is maximised, regardless of the type of storage device used. ZFS is fully integrated at zero cost with Sun Solaris 10 on more than 1,000 multi-vendor Sparc and X86 platforms.
- For the first time, it is feasible to deploy low cost Open Storage hardware, such as Sun's JBOD arrays or Sun's X4500 data server, but deliver the performance and data integrity of solutions costing 10 times more.
Now you can see this in action and get detailed information on best practices and strategies
Attend our ZFS Discovery Day. A Sun expert will explain the design concepts of ZFS and outline Sun's open storage strategy. Delegates will learn how to set up file systems using ZFS and how to employ in-built facilities such as copy on write snapshots and data replication, and all of this will be demonstrated using the latest Sun CMT and X64 servers, combined with the latest open storage hardware. Delegates will then take a look at how ZFS and Solid State Disks can be combined to accelerate application performance. Various usage scenarios will then be demonstrated, such as MySQL, replication and porting from a legacy volume manager in a 'live' application environment. The session will conclude by demonstrating the Common Array Manager and with an investigation into the savings in total cost of ownership.
Sun and ZFS can help you dramatically reduce your acquisition and operating costs, whilst providing the performance and security that is delivered through this advanced file system. Stop using technology that was designed for 20th century systems....move into the 21st century with Sun and ZFS.