Who uses MySQL triggers for Application Refactoring ?
By user13333379 on Dec 22, 2009
Panthermedia is currently refactoring the entire application including the database and it's schema. Panthermedia needs some time to do this. Panthermedia decided to do a step by step mgration for all modules. They decided to follow an innovative approach:
- They created the new database tables in parallel to the existing ones
- The old tables got update triggers which maintain the correct state in the new tables for every "old" query going to the old tables
- The new tables got update triggers which maintain the correct state in the old tables. "New" queries use the new tables
- The application is now getting re factored in a step by step approach. More and more new components use the new tables
- Panthermedia is currently using MySQL 5.0.68 including master/master replication plus replication for backup purposes.
The current approach works like a charm. The questions is however if other members used this approach before. What are the up- and downsides?
Please let us know and start a discussion through the comment function!
Before I forget!:
The editors at Panthermedia.net select images for our archive. The licenses for using these images for editorial or commercial purposes are offered in the stock agency. The primary target group are small and medium-sized agencies, publishers and companies working with a limited budget. Our team of sales representatives support customers in their search and selection of images. We have created an easy and affordable pricing structure that is significantly below regular prices for professional royalty free images.
Panthermedia.net is an enterprise of PantherMedia GmbH, located in Munich, Germany. The company was founded in October of 2004.
Welcome to PantherMedia - the online marketplace for digital photography