November Events Rocking Silicon Valley!
By Laura on Oct 27, 2009
Mark your calendars! There are a couple of super cool events in November you don't want to miss: SVASE & GABA BIGs Digital Media, and Startup Weekend.
SVASE & GABA Present the BIGs Digital Media, November 19
Social Financing - Using the Web to Mine Money for Your Venture
Raising money from VCs is increasingly difficult for early stage companies--even ones with a good product. Social networks have been great for generating awareness but how do you turn social equity into funds for your business? Social financing is working well for entrepreneurs in developing countries and those improving the well-being of society and the environment. Could that same model work here? New models are rapidly emerging that are changing the landscape for how businesses raise money.
Join this dynamic panel of experts as they discuss this timely topic!
- What is social financing?
- What is microfinancing?
- What new tools are available today?
- How companies facilitate sources of social funding
- How social networks can become social financing engines
The Panel: Marc Dangeard, Founder, Entrepreneur Commons; Joshua Sams, Co-Founder & CEO, Sprowtt Marketplace; 2 additional panelists TBD
Moderator: Sumaya Kazi, Sr. Social Media Manager, Sun Microsystems
WHEN: Thursday, November 19
6:00 – 7:00 pm: Networking and hors d’oeuvres
7:00 – 8:15 pm: Panel Discussion and Q&A
8:15 – 8:30 pm: Additional Networking
LOCATION: Sun Microsystems, 12 Network Circle, Building 12 (make a left at the main entrance), Menlo Park, CA 94025. Map
BAY AREA STARTUP WEEKEND
WHEN: November 20-22nd
WHERE: The Hacker Dojo
Register Before 10/30 for 20% off – Use code “swearlybird”
There are 10 Startup Weekend events going on for Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) this November! Last year they had over 25,000 events, 3 million participants, and over 1 billion media impressions.
November 13th-15th: Tulsa, OK – Boise, ID – London, UK
November 20th-22nd: New York – Bay Area (Silicon Valley) – Cleveland, OH – Dallas, TX – Los Angeles, CA – Lexington, KY – Atlanta, GA
December 4th-6th: (just a little later) Paris, France – Corvallis, OR – Boston, MA
- Global visibility for your startup – GEW will have amazing exposure and follow-up with national coverage for Startup Weekend and startups in likes of The Wall Street Journal, Business Week, NYTimes, Forbes, and USA Today.
- Meet more investors, vc’s, ceo’s, cto’s, lawyers, and successful entrepreneurs working one-on-one with teams.
- Sunday night voting among your peers will allow one startup to win a grand prize.
- Top teams will be invited to Startup Weekend exclusive spots at the top tech events.
- Spotlight your startup via Startup Weekends global partners.
- Coaching and mentoring for startups after the weekend.
- Free web hosting for startups at the event
- Free business plan guidance
- Other Free software and discounts
Student Tickets are limited – Remember to bring your Student ID!
Startup Weekend is a now a non-profit out of Seattle, WA.