Two Weeks To Go, Still Time to Register
By speakjava on Sep 17, 2012
Yes, it's now only two weeks to the start of the 17th JavaOne conference!
This will be my ninth JavaOne, I came fairly late to this event, attending for the first time in 2002. Since then I've missed two conferences, 2006 for the birth of my son (a reasonable excuse I think) and 2010 for reasons we'll not go into here. I have quite the collection of show devices, I've still got the WoWee robot, the HTC phone for JavaFX, the programmable pen and the Sharp Zaurus. The only one I didn't keep was the homePod music player (I wonder why?)
JavaOne is a special conference for many reasons, some of which I list here:
- A great opportunity to catch up on the latest changes in the Java world. This is not just in terms of the platform, but as much about what people are doing with Java to build new and cool applications.
- A chance to meet people. We have these things called BoFs, which stands for "Birds of a Feather", as in "Birds of a feather, flock together". The idea being to have sessions where people who are interested in the same topic don't just get to listen to a presentation, but get to talk about it. These sessions are great, but I find that JavaOne is as much about the people I meet in the corridors and the discussions I have there as it is about the sessions I get to attend.
- Think outside the box. There are a lot of sessions at JavaOne covering the full gamut of Java technologies and applications. Clearly going to sessions that relate to your area of interest is great, but attending some of the more esoteric sessions can often spark thoughts and stimulate the imagination to go off and do new and exciting things once you get back.
- Get the lowdown from the Java community. Java is as much about community as anything else and there are plenty of events where you can get involved. The GlassFish party is always popular and for Java Champions and JUG leaders there's a couple of special events too.
- Not just all hard work. Oracle knows how to throw a party and the appreciation event will be a great opportunity to mingle with peers in a more relaxed environment. This year Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon will be playing live. Add free beer and what more could you want?
So there you have it. Just a few reasons for why you want to attend JavaOne this year. Oh, and of course I'll be presenting three sessions which is even more reason to go. As usual I've gone for some mainstream ("Custom Charts" for JavaFX) and some more 'out there' ("Java and the Raspberry Pi" and "Gestural Interfaces for JavaFX"). Once again I'll be providing plenty of demos so more than half my luggage this year will consist of a Kinect, robot arm, Raspberry Pis, gamepad and even an EEG sensor.
If you're a student there's one even more attractive reason for going to JavaOne: It's Free!
Registration is here. Hope to see you there!