The Blog Begins
By speakjava on Apr 17, 2012
Welcome to my new blog!
As part of the Developer Evangelism team at Oracle I talk to a lot of developers around the world. In order to be able to share more of the things I present and the code I write I've started this blog. My focus at the moment is fairly broad: Java SE, JavaFX and embedded Java, but I have lots of ideas and information to share in all those areas. Here's a few things I'm working on at the moment that I'll be writing about in the future:
- Java based gestural interfaces using hardware like the Kinect, Wiimotes, Sun SPOTs and other sensors (I even have a brain wave sensor from Neurosky that I'm hoping to build a Java interface for).
- Integrating JavaFX with physics engines to create some interesting visual effects for interfaces.
- Fun JavaFX applications like the JavaFX book.
- JavaFX on non-desktop devices.
- Embedded Java ideas and applications. I've had a BeagleBoard for a while and just got my Raspberry Pi which I'm very excited about, both from a development perspective, but also the possibilities for teaching computing in schools.
- Some of the low level details about Java performance (I find garbage collection particularly interesting, as well as concurrency)
- New features for Java SE. Understanding the details of Lambda expressions and defender methods.
Follow me on Twitter (@speakjava) to find out what's going on and when new entries are posted.
In the words of Arthur C. Clarke, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Let's share some Java magic.