By Larry Wake -Oracle on Sep 30, 2014
It's been a busy, informative, and entertaining OpenWorld so far -- we just wrapped up Markus' general session, followed by the customer panel. I'd like to thank Manuel, Robert, Chris, and Thorsten for participating in the latter -- there was a lot of great information shared about why moving to Oracle Solaris 11 is a major win for IT, and what their experiences have been with it.
As I was heading out of the room, someone asked, "That was fantastic; now all we need is the Solaris engineering panel. When is that?"
Wednesday's the day--and there's a lot more, too:
- 8:30 AM - John Fowler's Keynote (Moscone North, Hall D)
- 9:30 AM - 10:15 AM Breakfast
- Join your favorite Systems and Solaris people once again for breakfast at the Hotel InterContinental.
- 10:15 AM - 11:00 AM
Oracle Solaris: Best Practices for Maintenance and Upgrades
- You can stroll right from there to our first session of the day at the InterContinental. Learn best practices for upgrading and patching, and how to get maximum value from My Oracle Support.
- 11:45 AM - 12:45 PM Create Quality, Secure, High-Performing Applications on Oracle Solaris
- Like all the hands-on labs, this is at the Hotel Nikko. Get behind the wheel of Oracle Solaris Studio, and learn how to build high-quality, high-performance production-quality applications with world-class compilers, IDE and analysis tools.
- 12:45 PM - 1:30 PM OpenStack and Oracle Solaris: Engineered for the Cloud
- At the InterContinental, Chris Riggin, Glynn Foster, and Eric Saxe discuss what makes the integration of Oracle Solaris and OpenStack the ideal solution for application provisioning and self-service virtual environments.
- 1:15 - 3:15 PM Set Up a Hadoop 2 Cluster with Oracle Solaris Zones, Oracle Solaris ZFS, and Unified Archive
- More hands-on experiences at the Nikko. Pick one from column "Hadoop..."
- 1:15 PM - 2:15 PM Oracle Database 12c Data Protection and Multitenancy on Oracle Solaris 11
- ...or one from column "Oracle Datbase 12c".
- 2:00 PM - 2:45 PM Oracle Solaris Panel: Insights and Directions from Oracle Solaris Engineering
- Meanwhile, back at the InterContinental: If you've clicked through to the synopsis, this already looks like a winner: Joost Pronk hosts four Oracle Solaris engineers, ready to share what they're doing and answer your questions. But wait: there's more! We'll have a bunch more engineers in the room as well, so the Solaris-insight-directions meter is pretty much pegged. Stick around afterwards and hang out with everyone to get even more insight. (And direction.)
- 4:45 PM - 5:30 PM Engineering Insights: Best Practices for Optimizing Oracle Software for Oracle Hardware
- "More insights?" you ask. "Can this even be?" Yes! That's why you have to come to OpenWorld! You'll hear a series of case studies from real Oracle applications, illustrating how Oracle Solaris Studio development tools were key to fully tuning and optimizing Oracle software for Oracle hardware.
At this point in the day, after you've experienced all that Solaris, the Aerosmiths and the Macklemores and the Lewises and the Spacehogs might seem downright anticlimactic. But you really should go see them, because I'd hate it if they wound up playing to an empty island.