Chapter 1, "Image Packaging System Package Repositories"
- New section about best practices
Chapter 2, "Copying IPS Package Repositories"
- Copying from a zip file (see also Release Engineering's blog) or iso file
- Using the pkgrecv command
- Using the new pkg/mirror service to automatically periodically update a repository
Chapter 3, "Providing Access To Your Repository"
- Using a ZFS share
- Using the pkg/server service
Chapter 4, "Maintaining Your Local IPS Package Repository"
- New repository update procedure
- Using the pkgrecv --clone option to clone a repository
- Using the new pkg/depot service to serve multiple repositories from a single location
Chapter 5, "Running the Depot Server Behind a Web Server"
- Caching, load balancing
- New section about configuring HTTPS repository access
Adding and Updating Software in Oracle Solaris 11.2
Chapter 1, "Introduction to the Image Packaging System"
- Incorporations and group packages, FMRIs, images
Chapter 2, "Getting Information About Software Packages"
- Packages that can be installed
- Package descriptions, licenses, dependencies, dependents
- Searching for packages
Chapter 3, "Installing and Updating Software Packages"
- New options for pkg subcommands regarding non-global zones, SMF actuators, and ignoring missing packages in a pkg update or uninstall
- New pkg exact-install command (see also Bart's blog)
- Updated information about non-global zones
Chapter 4, "Updating or Upgrading an Oracle Solaris Image"
- Ways to control the version to which to upgrade, including creating a custom incorporation package
Chapter 5, "Configuring Installed Images"
- Configuring publishers
- Variants and facets
- Incorporation constraints
Appendix A, "Troubleshooting Package Installation and Update"
- All new - Begins with steps you should always do and then is organized by error message
Appendix B, "IPS Graphical User Interfaces"
- Package Manager and Package Update
Packaging and Delivering Software With the Image Packaging System in Oracle Solaris 11.2
Chapter 1, "IPS Design Goals, Concepts, and Terminology"
- General information about software self-assembly and package lifecycle
- Definitions, package components
- New file attribute, sysattr, for setting system attributes
Chapter 2, "Packaging Software With IPS"
- Updated procedures for publishing and delivering your package
Chapter 3, "Installing, Removing, and Updating Software Packages"
- How this works in the Image Packaging System
Chapter 4, "Specifying Package Dependencies"
- New firmware value for the fmri attribute of the origin dependency for specifying driver firmware compatibility
Chapter 5, "Allowing Variations"
- Variants and facets
Chapter 6, "Modifying Package Manifests Programmatically"
- Using pkgmogrify
Chapter 7, "Automating System Change as Part of Package Installation"
- Specifying actuators on package actions
- Delivering SMF services in IPS packages
- New or updated examples of a run-once service and a self-assembly service
Chapter 8, "Advanced Topics For Package Updating"
- Renaming, merging, splitting, obsoleting packages
- New or updated examples of preserving editable packaged content, preserving unpackaged content, sharing content across boot environments, overlaying files, and delivering a mediation
Chapter 9, "Signing IPS Packages"
Chapter 10, "Handling Non-Global Zones"
Chapter 11, "Modifying Published Packages"
Appendix A, "Classifying Packages"
Appendix B, "How IPS Is Used To Package the Oracle Solaris OS"