11 Reasons Why Oracle Solaris 11 11/11 Isn't Being Released on 11/11/11
By Larry Wake on Nov 03, 2011
As I may have mentioned before, the Oracle Solaris 11 launch is this coming Wednesday, November 9th. Unsurprisingly, more than a few people have pointed out that just two days later, the 11th, is "11/11/11" -- a seemingly perfect day to launch a product named... well, you know.
So here's why we didn't go with that date. (Two of these are actually the real reasons.)
- Whoa -- we never thought of that!
- We just couldn't wait.
- Friday -- not a good day for a product launch.
- Armistice Day/Remembrance Day/Veterans Day -- not a good day for a product launch.
- Sony Pictures begged us not to release on the same day as the new Adam Sandler movie.
- We figured the launch parties would keep going for three days.
- Hoping to ride the coattails of the commemorations of Louis the Bavarian's defeat of his cousin Frederick I of Austria at the Battle of Gamelsdorf in 1313.
- "11" is actually 9--in octal. OK, that one's exceptionally weak.
- November 9 is Inventors' Day! (Which is held on this day because it's the birthday of actress Hedy Lamarr, who invented frequency-hopping spread spectrum signalling in 1942. I am not making this up.)
- "No... that's just what they'll be expecting us to do."
I hope that explains things adequately.
On the 9th.