Today we're releasing the first SRU for Oracle Solaris 11.4! This is the next installment in our ongoing support train for Oracle Solaris 11 and there will be no further Oracle Solairs 11.3 SRUs delivered to the support repository. Due to the timing of our releases and some fixes being in Oracle Solaris 11.3 SRU35 but not in 11.4, not all customers on Oracle Solaris 11.3 SRU35 were able to update to Oracle Solaris 11.4 when it was released. SRU1 includes all these fixes and customers can now update to Oracle Solaris 11.4 SRU1 via 'pkg update' from the support repository or by downloading the SRU from My Oracle Support Doc ID 2433412.1.
This SRU introduces 'Memory Reservation Pools for Kernel Zones'. On some more heavily loaded systems that experience memory contention or sufficiently fragmented memory, it can be difficult for an administrator to guarantee that Kernel Zones can allocate all the memory they need to boot or even reboot. By allowing memory to be reserved ahead of time early during boot when it is more likely that enough memory of the desired pagesize is available, the impact of overall system memory usage on the ability of a Kernel Zone to boot/reboot will be minimized. Further details on using this feature are in the SRU readme file.
Other fixes of note in this SRU include:
- vim has been updated to 8.1.0209
- mailman has been updated to 2.1.29
- Updated Intel tool in HMP
- Samba has been updated to 4.8.4
- Kerberos 5 has been updated to 1.16.1
- webkitgtk+ has been updated to 2.18.6
- curl has been updated to 7.61.0
- sqlite has been updated to 3.24.0
- Apache Tomcat has been updated to 8.5.32
- Thunderbird has been updated to 52.9.1
- Apache Web Server has been updated to 2.4.34
- Wireshark has been updated to 2.6.2
- MySQL has been updated to 5.7.23
- OpenSSL has been updated to 1.0.2p
Full details of this SRU can be found in My Oracle Support Doc 2449090.1. For the list of Service Alerts affecting each Oracle Solaris 11.4 SRU, see Important Oracle Solaris 11.4 SRU Issues (Doc ID 2445150.1).